When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another 5218-201/A Project

milesd

I'm a newbie to RWG however I'm a pretty active member on RG. After seeing Rolli's collection, I was inspired to do a 201/A. I told myself that I'd try and find parts here and there to build a perfect 201/A. Well, I started out with finding a 0348 serial caseback and V crown guard. That started my search. The next day I bought all the rest of the parts for the perfect 201/A. :D

Parts List

FGD 201/A Dial

DSN 201/A Hands

DSN Pre-V Case

DSN Swiss ETA6497

Eddie Lee 201/A Caseback

V Crown Guard

T 48 Crown

Gen Pre-V Dirk Buckle with Strap from VDB

I'm not sure if I plan on using the DSN case as the V CG might have some problems fitting to the case. I ordered a spare case from a dealer on RG that appears to have shorter lugs just incase. One thing though, is this DSN case looks like the lugs are too short/fat. Anyone care to chime in?

201_a1.jpg

201_a2.jpg

201_a3.jpg

201_a4.jpg

201_a5.jpg

201_a6.jpg

201_a8.jpg

My T crown arrived:

78fe34df.jpg

bfd86cca.jpg

2ff006ef.jpg

8eba0e8f.jpg

46d196aa.jpg

e68d0362.jpg

The rest of the goodies arrived (12/10):

IMG_7887.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_7891.jpg

IMG_7892.jpg

IMG_7888.jpg

I also took a bunch of macro photos of the dial:

IMG_7893.jpg

IMG_7895.jpg

IMG_7896.jpg

IMG_7897.jpg

IMG_7898.jpg

IMG_7899.jpg

IMG_7901.jpg

IMG_7903.jpg

IMG_7902.jpg

IMG_7894.jpg

Don't use DSN's case - the CG is unlikely to fit properly but more importantly the lugholes are too big. Also, it's hard to tell from your pics, but the crown position of some of these cases is totally off. The 'T' crown is designed to fit a standard rep case, with a slimmer shaft than DSN's crown. DSN's is sprung and fits either a gen case or a JF case so the tube of the DSN case will be too big for the 'T' crown.

What's up with the FGD dial??? It seems to have been lumed to give a 'sausage' effect, which would be correct for the A series T SWISS T dials but totally wrong for the preV (201A etc) and preA dials which have recessed numbers and markers. The unaltered FGD dials are excellent but shouldn't be modified in this manner. Check out this link for reference; http://www.paneristi.com/archives/PreA_Pan..._A_Panerai.html

Don't use DSN's case - the CG is unlikely to fit properly but more importantly the lugholes are too big. Also, it's hard to tell from your pics, but the crown position of some of these cases is totally off. The 'T' crown is designed to fit a standard rep case, with a slimmer shaft than DSN's crown. DSN's is sprung and fits either a gen case or a JF case so the tube of the DSN case will be too big for the 'T' crown.

What's up with the FGD dial??? It seems to have been lumed to give a 'sausage' effect, which would be correct for the A series T SWISS T dials but totally wrong for the preV (201A etc) and preA dials which have recessed numbers and markers. The unaltered FGD dials are excellent but shouldn't be modified in this manner. Check out this link for reference; http://www.paneristi.com/archives/PreA_Pan..._A_Panerai.html

I think it's just the lighting - it's a strange optical illusion (I can't remember the name, but they use it on lithophanes etc.) that makes a concave surface appear convex. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Neat idea on the reverse adaptor - I can't believe I hadn't thought of it, but I've just ordered one to save the cost of a macro for my 350D!

I think it's just the lighting - it's a strange optical illusion (I can't remember the name, but they use it on lithophanes etc.) that makes a concave surface appear convex. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Yeah, maybe you're right Ross. It's just seriously hard to tell. I thought that it may be an illusion at first, then one of the shots along the plane of the dial convinced me that the indexes were actually raised. There are a number of 201As in the pipeline at the moment so there should be an opportunity for a great photo gallery some time soon.

• 6 years later...
  • 11 months later...