When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO Questions

dariusp

I've been away for awhile trying not to obsess to much with watches but every time I get out, it pulls me back in! I saw a Planet Ocean in an AD and decided to check on it.

Ok, so I've been reading reviews on the UPO and I think I have narrowed my choice to Puretime. A couple of questions first.

1. Do most here like the orange bezel over the black?

2. I noticed in comparing Puretime to Silix that the hands on Puretime's UPO Lite seem a liitle short. Has that been fixed?

3. Is the date font still different from the Lite to the Asian Clone 2824?

4. Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is the date window a little too far left?

I think that's it for right now. I appreciate the responses in advance.

Thanks guys!

I've been away for awhile trying not to obsess to much with watches but every time I get out, it pulls me back in! I saw a Planet Ocean in an AD and decided to check on it.

Ok, so I've been reading reviews on the UPO and I think I have narrowed my choice to Puretime. A couple of questions first.

1. Do most here like the orange bezel over the black?

2. I noticed in comparing Puretime to Silix that the hands on Puretime's UPO Lite seem a liitle short. Has that been fixed?

3. Is the date font still different from the Lite to the Asian Clone 2824?

4. Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is the date window a little too far left?

I think that's it for right now. I appreciate the responses in advance.

Thanks guys!

A few quick answers, I'm hoping others will be able to fill in my blanks :)

1. What you like is important, not what is 'the popular option' ;)

2. Pass :lol:

3. Pass :lol:

4. The date window on the 45mm Planet Ocean appears further to the left than on the 42 mm Planet Ocean, because in a way, it is. The 42 and 45 both use the same movement, so the datewheel is the same distance from the center of the dial, but, due to the larger dial on the 45, it means there is 'extra dial' between the edge of the date window, and the edge of the dial, giving the impression of the datewindow on the 45 being further to the left, than on the 42 ;)

I hope that answers a few of your questions :)

I have one in black. While its not attention grabbing, it grows on you. So the heart wants what the heart wants.

It has been documented that the hands a bit off for the UPO. Silix PO has bad dial markers so.... you can't win them all. UPO also has wrong Omega logo on the dial.

Dial Font???? Pass

TJ's spot on with Q4.

Where are all the Omegaristis ????

Thanks to you both for your answers so far.

I think I like the Orange myself. I just wanted to gauge others opinions.

I couldn't see the difference in the Omega "feet" until looking at it over and over again and then bam, I noticed it. Now it's very visible to me. I hate how picky we can be. :p

TJ, thanks for the explanation of the date window. It makes sense to me now.

Thanks to you both for your answers so far.

I think I like the Orange myself. I just wanted to gauge others opinions.

I couldn't see the difference in the Omega "feet" until looking at it over and over again and then bam, I noticed it. Now it's very visible to me. I hate how picky we can be. :p

TJ, thanks for the explanation of the date window. It makes sense to me now.

No problem, Darius, just glad to be of help :)

It has been documented that the hands a bit off for the UPO. Silix PO has bad dial markers so.... you can't win them all. UPO also has wrong Omega logo on the dial.

Just so I am clear on this one. Silix's PO has the bad markers, but the hands on Silix's PO are longer and therefore more true to gen than the shorter hands on the UPO?

I had also heard that Silix's lug width is not the true 22mm.

So realisticly what it seems we need is:

UPO as a base

Switch hands from Silix's PO to UPO

Switch Omega logo from Silix's dial to UPO dial

get it re-lumed, have the crystal AR'd by Cheif or K2 and then that would be an Ultimate PO save for the bezel insert.

Just so I am clear on this one. Silix's PO has the bad markers, but the hands on Silix's PO are longer and therefore more true to gen than the shorter hands on the UPO?

UPO as a base

get it re-lumed, have the crystal AR'd by Cheif or K2 and then that would be an Ultimate PO save for the bezel insert.

But if you change to Silix's dial do you get the wrong markers as well?

UPO as a base

Other than the revision (apologies for taking the liberty, but it's the kind of information folks need to know) that's the perfect recipe for an awesome Planet Ocean :good:

Here's what I intend to do to my UPO

1. Gen hands

2. Gen Crown & Tube

3. Chief's AR

4. Dial is tricky here. A gen dial is a major investment but I might have to go there if I can't get mine lume. And God knows I can't lume it myself.

5. HE Valve replacement is optional for me.

dluddy has an UPO done up by The Zigmeister and I think that project is the gold standard for UPO projects.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=87000

Cheers

Siesta181

You know how you read one thing but your mind says something else...

Thanks man.

What do they do, scrape and re-glue?

Believe me I know all to well, I had to go back and re-read what I typed to make sure I really typed it and didn't just think I typed it.

As for the logo swap, there is a thread somewhere that shows it, as I understand it the logo has two feet that go through the dial, you can get both logos off with a little finessing then put Silix's logo onto the UPO dial and re-glue from behind the dial.

Here's what I intend to do to my UPO

1. Gen hands

2. Gen Crown & Tube

3. Chief's AR

4. Dial is tricky here. A gen dial is a major investment but I might have to go there if I can't get mine lume. And God knows I can't lume it myself.

5. HE Valve replacement is optional for me.

dluddy has an UPO done up by The Zigmeister and I think that project is the gold standard for UPO projects IMHO.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=87000

Cheers

Siesta181

Here is what I am trying to plan

Gen hands as they are not all that expensive and by the time you source Silix's hands and have them re-lumed you would probably spend more than buying the gen.

Gen crown and tube, for looks the rep will do but to avoid stripping that is famous with the rep crown and tube might as well get the gen

He valve, can't see any real reason to buy the gen on that

Here is where I am getting crossed up. Gen dial, the UPO dial is pretty good, with the logo swap you would probably need a loupe to tell the difference. So I am thinking a re-lumed and logo swapped UPO dial and spend the money I save buying a gen bezel. I realize that the insert is the only thing useable on it but its the one thing that can't be fixed any other way. Also I guess I always could throw the bezel, sans insert, on the bay and possibly re-coupe a little of the money spent.

Last thing is the crystal. The gen has that hue to it that gives the dial a deep indago look from certian angles. You can see this in the pics Lani posted comparing gen AR to Chief's. I have looked seen the gen at the AD on many occasions and this is always something I notice. While chief's AR probably is better than the gen it is not true to the gen and will take away the indago effect. My thought process is this - how much does it cost to have the rep AR stripped and then have the crystal re-AR'ed by chief? Add to that any shipping back and fourth and I figure I might as well pony up a few more bucks and get the gen crystal. Again I have the possibility of selling off the rep AR crystal here to make a few bucks back.