When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona Franken-builders - I need your help!

Guest Sql_pl

Here is the situation - my 16520 is right now being finished in Germany but it turned out my 12hr subdial pin was bent/broken so we are stuck!

I was really really hoping to be able to have this watch on at christmas dinner after 8 months of collecting parts, hitting miscellaneous bumps and other adventures and everything seemed to work so far. But now this.

I have a source for Zenith/Ebel etc etc parts but she is located in States - NO WAY the part would be able to get to Germany in time.

So basically what I want to ask here, I know it might be too much to ask - but if there is a person (especially in EU, Germany would be unbelievably perfect) here with a spare elprimero that is waiting to be installed maybe there is a chance we could work out a deal that you could "lend" me your 12hr subdial pin (or gear/wheel witha pin - I do not even know how it looks like) and I would order a new one directly to your place?

If you are not in a hurry or you are not too close to finishing aproject maybe it would not be too much of a hassle?

I know that a situation where a German member keeps a spare elprimero is like daydreaming but I thought I'd try :) :)

Ooooor.... maybe we have a German member who knows where to get such part in Germany in timely manner?

Thanks a million in advance.

Maciek

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, but it is all part of the 'fun' of modding.

Try cousinsuk.com. If they have the part (& you do not mind paying the fees), they could overnight it to Germany. Trouble is that even if your builder had the part in hand tomorrow, you still have to rely on his getting the watch completed & shipped back to you (via Customs). With all of those variables, it may be a stretch hoping for a Christmas delivery.

But good luck.

Germany and Poland are both in EU so no customs here.

This hand is the last one that needs to be modified and installed.

If I'd find part tomorrow and have amazing luck to have it shipped overnight watch would be ready on monday.

Then ups or dhl and one day later it is on my wrist.

Of course I do not really believe this scenario might actually work but it is almost christmas - one can dream huh? :)

But here is the problem - which of these might be what I need?

http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/4/234/547.aspx

Maybe "Zenith 40.0, 3019PHC, 8600 Hour Counting Wheel" ?

Sorry, I cannot answer that. Ziggy may know the correct part or possibly Ubi.

As an alternative (if you really want to make your Xmas goal), since the parts are small (overnight shipping for 2 parts will be the same as 1), you might consider ordering it & any other similar part & hope that 1 of them is correct.

Thank you Freddy.

I have emailed cousinsuk explaining them what I need... and also how fast I need it.

Hope they will reply soon. And not take me as an extremely weird guy who wants something, does not know what it is called and wants it in Germany on monday :)

At least I know I tried :)

Sorry to hear that M.

I encountered the same situation on my 134 movement, the pinion on the 9 o'clock subdial is broken. Not sure if we have the same source of the movement. Obviously this supplier is selling defective movement i/o claiming it is brand new - no way, the rotor on mine is scratched as well :blush:

My watchsmith told me it is very likely the pinion was broken when removing the old hand on it which is supposed to be installed with strong mechanical force. Getting spare parts for such old movement is becoming extremely hard - not like the ETA's.

I am lodging a claim against my supplier, and if necessary will escalate to the PP claim level.

bertieng - See if you can get a written evaluation from a professional watchmaker (notarized & on the watchmaker's letterhead). That will improve your chances of getting PP to act (on your behalf). But be prepared for the seller to come back with 'It was new or in good working order when I shipped it out'. And unless you had the movement shipped directly to your watchmaker, PP is stuck in the middle having to mediate based on 2 different stories. Of course, if you & Sql determine that you sourced both movements from the same supplier & have similar problems with 'new' movements, then you can demonstrate a pattern of behavior (by the seller), which makes your side alot more convincing.