When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob thoughts

mark035

I'm not a complete noob even though I have never posted before, I've done lots and lots of reading on here and really appreciate the wealth of knowledge that can be found here. I have a question or rather a thought that I'd like to hear some feedback on, seems like in the rep the world the outer part of the watch is almost approaching perfection yet the mechanical Asian movement remains very problematic so how come we don't see more of our favorite chrono watches like the Tag blue link chrono that I'm drooling over come with a quartz swiss movement OR the more reliable Jap mechanical movements like Miyota or Orient (they make their own movement)? sure I appreciate and love the complexity and beauty of mechanical but if it's gonna fall apart on me any moment I'd trade it for quartz without hesitation.

The reasons are 3-fold - 1. The second hand on a quartz movement moves in 1-second increments, while the second hand on most mechanical movements 'sweeps' (each second is broken down into smaller steps, which gives the hand's movement an almost fluid-like appearance). 2. The functions on a mechanical movement are either missing or located in different positions on a quartz movement. 3. The case may need to be redesigned to fit a quartz movement.

All in all, while some mechanicals can be swapped out for quartz, it often entails either loss of functions or additional visual inaccuracies that most members are not willing to accept. But, like so many things in the rep world, it is all about compromise. Contrary to sellers' hyperbole, no rep is perfect. Each buyer must decide -- for him or herself -- which inaccuracies offend them the least.

I have been quite lucky when it comes to unreliable movements. Neither my chs GMTIIC nor my 1st generation secs at 6 Daytonas have suffered any of the problems that have plagued many other owners. But, in my case, to paraphrase a great American patriot, give me mechanical or give me nothing.

I'm not a complete noob even though I have never posted before, I've done lots and lots of reading on here and really appreciate the wealth of knowledge that can be found here. I have a question or rather a thought that I'd like to hear some feedback on, seems like in the rep the world the outer part of the watch is almost approaching perfection yet the mechanical Asian movement remains very problematic so how come we don't see more of our favorite chrono watches like the Tag blue link chrono that I'm drooling over come with a quartz swiss movement OR the more reliable Jap mechanical movements like Miyota or Orient (they make their own movement)? sure I appreciate and love the complexity and beauty of mechanical but if it's gonna fall apart on me any moment I'd trade it for quartz without hesitation.

I have a total of five reps, all have eta movements (supposedly swiss). Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never had a moments trouble with any of the movements.

I have a total of five reps, all have eta movements (supposedly swiss). Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've never had a moments trouble with any of the movements.

Actually many of my most accurate timekeepers are cheap generic Asian 21J automatic movements...

There is only one real clunker movement in the replica world, and it's the modified A7750 with seconds running at 6:00. Other than that, most of the movements aren't half bad!

Mark,

I'm guessing a bit here, but most (nearly all) reps come out of China/Taiwan.

The Chinese will use "home grown" before they will talk to the Japanese.

Maybe they think their mechanical movements are as good as Japanese?

Although they do acknowledge the superiority of the Japanese quartz movts; you only have to look at the huge numbers of "better" Chinese (non rep) watches that use and promote the Japanese movts.

And in my experience they are spot on, the quality of a lot of Chinese quartz is diabolical.

I have seen hundreds of Chinese quartz movts, which have failed before they even reach the consumer, but then again when the complete watch is selling for under $1, what can you expect... we pay more than that (locally) for batteries!

Maybe the thinking for mechanicals, is that the cheaper versions get Chinese, and the dearer ones get "Swiss".

And now that ETA have factories throughout SE Asia, the definition of "Swiss" movts, becomes more muddied.

I personally think, (with no justification) that the ongoing debate about ETA movts, is probably more due to the location of the factory, that a particular movt originated, than the concept of the Chinese copying ETA movts.

Could be very wrong here, but I really think the "ETA" movts we are seeing, do originate in ETA factories, however it does draw a long straw in referring to them as "Swiss"

Simply put, these are Asian ETA movts.

Just my 0.02c worth.

Offshore