When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Houston, TX GTG - 17 or 18 January 2009

We would like to schedule the next Houston, TX GTG for either the 17th or 18th of January, 2009. It has been brought to my attention that many of you who can't make it on a Saturday could make it on a Sunday, and vice versa. Given this, I would like your opinions.

I voted for Sunday, because some of the RG member brought it to my attention that they couldn't make it on Saturdays. Although, I, personally, don't care which day.

We, also, need to decide on the location. While I and others love The Black Lab, I am sure others would want to try something else. Talk about it in the thread, please. Majority rules here as well.

I have also been trying to encourage some of our Dallas members to make the drive, so somewhere in the north area (The Woodlands) would help for them. But, again, I will be there wherever it is at!

Some have mentioned that maybe it would be a good idea to have an agenda this time around. Meet, greet, eat, and then talk about topics that you want to bring up. Again, let's talk about it here and we can plan ahead of time!

So...let's get to it and start planning

The general date (Jan 16/17) sounds okay. I think Bill Vest also suggested mid January for our next meeting. You might want to hear from Bill and ensure he and others who work out-of-town will be able to make those dates.

Sunday would work okay for me, as well. We are always going to have some who can't make a Saturday and some - perhaps - who can't make a Sunday But trying Sunday seems a reasonable plan.

As to location: there are advantages to having our meetings at the same place each time ... folks know where it is and how to get there ... we already have identified a place where we can get access to a private room, important I think for our meetings. Meeting elsewhere than the Black Lab is okay providing most folks can get to it and we have access to private meeting space and can get a nice lunch and good service.

I like the idea of an agenda, some way to have an orderly discussion in which all will be able to contribute and have their questions or issues treated. In order to do that we will need to have someone act as moderator to manage the organized meeting time. We have discussed having an agenda before. I thought we were prepared to hold a more formal, managed discussion last time but it didn't happen. If we are going to do that, that must be understood at the beginning of the gathering, I think.

Bob... thanks for your reply and contributions. BillVest actually originated this idea on RWI, and the other offshore guys are available this weekend as well. I just decided to post it here, too, to get the opinions of our RWG members. I took most of that script right from Bill's post.

I will pass on your suggestions.

Bill has been pretty busy with work and hasn't had much time to respond to the planning.

Is everyone content with setting the day/date to Saturday, January 17th at 12:00pm at the Black Lab?

If so, let's make that official, so we can all make plans for that.

It's my pleasure Bob. All that remains is to make the reservations.

Bill is unsure at this time if he will make it or not, but told us to move forward. I hope he will be able to attend.

I look forward to seeing everyone. It is always great company.

We have the Cezanne Room (upstairs ... same room as last time) reserved at the Black Labrador, Saturday, 17 January, 4100 Montrose, Houston.

Looking forward to seeing every one again! Bring watches, smiles, and stories about your hobby adventures.