When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Graham lume upgrade and improvement.

RWG Technical

The overall lume on this one as delivered had a number of problems...so I tried to fix them as best I could...here's what was done.

Here is a link to what the watch looks like as delivered.

Click here for pics of the original lume

And here is a link to the genuine one where you can clearly see the colour differences between the rep and the gen.

Click here to see a genuine for comparison

This one posed a few challenges, as they all do it seems.

First up, the colour was wrong, and I didn't have any Super Luminova in stock that matched this one. After comparing the pictures to the lume patches from RC Tritec, I found that dark yellow was a match.

One problem fixed...

Next up, the existing lume and painted surrounds were uneven, the surround had some bubbles in it, the lume wasn't centered, and the lume patches weren't evenly placed or straight sided with the surround. And if that wasn't enough to deal with, the lume colour was off, and I had to restrict the height of the new lume to try and match the genuine dial as much as possible. Removing the existing lume is much to risky on this model, and doing so would most likely ruin the dial.

So I left the lume in place, and to fix the colour problem, I painted the lume area's with white paint. Since lume is somewhat transparent, a white base would allow the new colour to not be tainted by the underlying wrong colour.

Next up was the placement and shape of the rep lume markers. Because I am restricted to following the existing lume shapes when I apply my lume, I have no choice but to follow the shape of what is already on the dial.

As for the thickness, I applied as thin a coat as I could, and used the high gloss finish to match the genuine dial, and even put another coat of clear gloss over the top when it was dry.

Overall I like the results, it's always hard to duplicate the original when your not starting from the same place. An unlumed dial or one with a perfect finish would make it much easier for me to get perfect results, but where would the challenge be in that... :)

9.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

Hope you like the results and thanks for reading.

RG

Thank you for your time Z ~ anything that you refinish is alway's much better for it.. and we can get it to OEM lume specs.. My Graham of the same model will have to wait .. :D .. there are others that I give more wrist time that need your expertise... :)

The impossible just takes a bit more time with you

Thanks you again for your time.. it is of value added as alway's ~

Aloha~Cheers

L