When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why no love for the rehaut tats?

Spidey7

So I'm in the process of ordering a WM9 and I was trying to decide whether to go M series or Z series. I was surprised to see the amount of people that can't stand the engraved rehaut. I thought it looked kinda cool, but I'm just getting into this whole scene so I wanted to listen to some other opinions. I've even heard of people paying to have their engravings filled in and polished out because they hated them so much. So let me know your feelings. Luv it? Hate it? and tell me why, otherwise I'ma come do some rehaut engraving on your mama!!!! (ok, not really).

You would have had to pay an extra $10 for the engraved rehaut so I would assume that you're not getting it. I can understand not caring one way or the other, but I don't understand the rage. I just want to understand the truth, because truth is beauty, and I am beautiful.

One of the attractions of the Sub is that the basic design has changed very little over many, many years. And because everything has changes around it, the design has developed an individual character and heritage.

I believe people are attracted to the traditional design, it's rugged and I believe quite masculine, and to change the design is a problem for some because in a way it detracts a little from the tradition.

Like many others I'd like the Sub to stay traditional forever, rather than have the design become diluted and eventually lost in the name of marketing and profit.

The larger and new model Sub in my view heralds the end of the pure tool watch that is, a traditional SS Submariner.

Edited by Greystash

You'll find that Rolex has generally a couple different camps: those that think like them because they have long historical periods with very little change and hate the look of the new pieces...and those that like the new pieces. Engraved rehaut, big bezel insert lettering, maxi dials, green sapphire, etc are all elements of the newer age of Rolex design.

I think you'll find that the engraved rehaut doesn't show up visually in person as much as it does in the close up macro photos you see online here and on the collector sites. I'm fine with it either way.

On the genuines, the engraving is subtle and hard to see, you really have to be looking for it. One the replicas, the engravings usually have lettering that is too large, or the engraving is really printing and kinda shouts out at you. WM9's latest submariner is supposed to have better engraving as well as the Deep Sea, and in pictures they do indeed look better. I myself could have my Rollie rep either way, engraved or not, but I do understand that some may feel as though the engraving could be a little too much.

I agree with ken, one less thing to get wrong, that's why I left it off mine.

I also went for drilled lugs for the older look.

Spidy, your a funny guy LOL

I just want to understand the truth, because truth is beauty

PM 'Omni'.

You'll more than likely have to wait until he fires up his "Red Devil" martini shaker, but you'll get a holistic response. Let me prepare you though;

"You can't handle the truth................."

Col. Jessep