When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Not exactly a Panerai, not exactly a rep

peepshow

So, my gen purchase for this year was the first to arrive. My gen RWC 1938A!

Let me just say that the quality of the case/bezel/crown/lugs of this watch is on par with the gen PAM210 I used to own. If this watch had come with a 6497-2 nicely finished by SOPROD, I wouldn't feel the need to buy another gen PAM Radiomir, actually. The lume on this watch doesn't stand up to the gen Panerai lume, but that's not a quality at the top of my priority list, honestly. Lume needs to be good, but doesn't have to be amazing for me to enjoy the piece.

The biggest physical differences between this watch and gen/rep Panerai Radiomir are the very domed sapphire crystal on this watch and the aggressively downturned wire lugs. Both of these are quite different from the Panerai Rad. The wire lugs are different from the gen Panerai in another way. There is a center section to the lug assembly that has threaded "female" connections on both ends. The wires on each side screw into this threaded center section to form one rigid assembly. While this feature makes it a little more work to change straps, I think I prefer it to the Panerai system where the lug assembly is only two pieces - one side male and the other female - that simply slide together.

Another difference between this watch and Panerai Rads is that the crown is NOT a screw down model. This makes winding the movement and setting the time slightly less of a chore, though it does so at the expense of a much lower WR rating (50m instead of 300m). But, let's be honest, who out there is actually swimming or diving with their Rad? Luminors, yes, but Radiomirs? Not likely.

So, all in all, I'm very pleased with this purchase and I feel it is money well spent. If you get the opportunity to grab one of these 2nd hand at a good price, like I did, I would recommend you do it.

Here are the mediocre pics. One of these days I will get a tripod and build a simple lightbox....

DSCF1779.jpg

1938A1.jpg

Seller's pic

DSCF1780.jpg

Look at that domed crystal!

DSCF1781.jpg

DSCF1787.jpg

Since you get no brand name juice wearing the (9k!!!) panerai version of this 6497 powered watch, I'd take this over gen panerai any day of the week.

PAM249s sell for more like $11K. ;)

In addition to not having $11K, I think the 47mm case is too big for me, so this is a win-win.