When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

7750 Bentley Gt Day Alignment Problem

Antonio

Just got a gorgeous Bentley GT, but it arrived with the day too high in the window. Pulling out one click (during the recommended time of day, thanks to this forum and the seller!) allows me to change the date by winding clockwise, counterclockwise does nothing usually, moved the day a little a couple of times. When I just wind the hands to move the day/date with 24 times around, the date pops into place in the window, but the day keeps 1/3 of the way too high in the window. Can this be remedied without taking anything apart? Or might this have been somehow shifted in transit? It was serviced, and I'm sure set up properly when shipped.

Help?

Thanks in advance.

Just got a gorgeous Bentley GT, but it arrived with the day too high in the window. Pulling out one click (during the recommended time of day, thanks to this forum and the seller!) allows me to change the date by winding clockwise, counterclockwise does nothing usually, moved the day a little a couple of times. When I just wind the hands to move the day/date with 24 times around, the date pops into place in the window, but the day keeps 1/3 of the way too high in the window.

You should keep the amount of movement by setting the time to a minimum on this model, see here for details as to why, the more you change the time, the more the time is set, the more you wear out the cannon pin...Basic information

Can this be remedied without taking anything apart?

No.

Or might this have been somehow shifted in transit?

No

It was serviced, and I'm sure set up properly when shipped

Unlikely as the datewheel position is predetermined and not adjustable or moveable...it is what it is, and you can't change it. The only thing you can change is the position of the dial in relation to the datewindow, and on a chrono, your limited in the amount of movement you can get, due to the subdials... If it's like this now, it was like that when it left the person who serviced it...

Who serviced the watch?

Did you see it before it was serviced, or only after?

The fix would require taking the hands and dial off, cutting the dial feet off, seeing if you can get enough movement to line the datewindow up while still keeping the subdial hands in a good position and not jammed up against the holes in the dial for the subdial posts and hands...and then if you can line everything up, glue the dial to the movement and reassemble the watch...

I just finished a Breitling that had this identical problem, I was lucky as I was able to move the dial as I described above, and still get everything to work...

Curious to know who did the work, I am guessing it wasn't me...or I would have heard about it, and I dont' think I have ever seen a Bentley GT or worked on one... If you can't post who did the work, no harm done...

RG

You should keep the amount of movement by setting the time to a minimum on this model, see here for details as to why, the more you change the time, the more the time is set, the more you wear out the cannon pin...Basic information

I thought this wasn't applicable to the new 7750 (good quality cannon pin)?

Edited by Rolexman

I bought the watch from Joshua, had him service all but one watch I bought for a friend, but he's done all of mine. This one was somehow broken. The day wheel didn't turn when the crown was turned counter-clockwise. Date wheel turned as expected when crown was rotated clockwise. I had it set for the time Joshua recommended. The day wheel would spin when the crown was fully pulled and I wound the hands around 24 hours, but would stop at the wrong place, with only the bottom of the day showing in the window.

It wasn't engaging at all via the crown. Something isn't right. Joshua has assured me he'll make me happy with the replacement. I know he will, he is so good at getting back to me about things, and I've been nothing but happy for everything else.

What's killing me is that after seeing that beautiful watch, having it in my hands, I won't see it again for weeks. I sent it back today via USPS. What a joke our postal service is. Their website said the package would go overnight internationally for US$14. When I took the package to USPS, they said 6 days (Arriving Monday) and US$24. What a crock. Overnight would have been $60+, and I don't want to spend that for a couple fewer days without a rep watch. Why is it that Joshua sends me EMS packages that take 2-3 days max (rarely more than 2), with full tracking info, but going there takes way longer and is more expensive.

I had a couple of places I wanted to wear that watch to, but that won't happen. I'm so frustrated by that.

I had a couple of places I wanted to wear that watch to, but that won't happen. I'm so frustrated by that.

Wow. Joshua never fails to impress. He's sending me a replacement as mine is going to him. I've read nothing but good things about a lot of the dealers on RWG, glad I've been ordering from Joshua. The reason he gets all my business is not only his good products, but he stands behind them and genuinely cares about his customers. I wish everyone I purchased any kind of products from provided his level of service.

Thanks, Joshua, thanks The Zigmeister for the good info, and thanks to the others who participated in this thread.

-Antonio

I thought this wasn't applicable to the new 7750 (good quality cannon pin)?

True the new 7750 @ 28,800 has a good cannon pin, but that fact only means I don't have to stake it and fix it...

Changing the time on any watch wears out the cannon pin, so the comment is applicable to all watches, not only Asian 7750's. Some pins can be tightened (ie 6497 models), some can't (2836), others are a pain to tighten (7750's)...

You really notice it on older watches, where the cannon pin is so worn out the watch runs but the hands dont' move...the only time the cannon pin is wearing out, is when you set the time, it's just a good practice that's all...

RG

he day wheel didn't turn when the crown was turned counter-clockwise. Date wheel turned as expected when crown was rotated clockwise. I had it set for the time Joshua recommended. The day wheel would spin when the crown was fully pulled and I wound the hands around 24 hours, but would stop at the wrong place, with only the bottom of the day showing in the window.

It wasn't engaging at all via the crown. Something isn't right. Joshua has assured me he'll make me happy with the replacement. I know he will, he is so good at getting back to me about things, and I've been nothing but happy for everything else.

Glad to hear it's all going to work out...

On the date and day changing via the crown in the second position, that is a common problem on these models, I see it very often, it's simply a defect on some of these models and on some you can fix it, and on others it can't be fixed. The bridge that holds the quick set date gear in place is very critical when you reinstall it, if it's not just right, then the quick set date gear can't pivot on it's pin and you get the problem you had...

RG