When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Like a kid in a candy store

ammandel

Hi there, I'm a new forum member and some of you might have seen a couple of my inputs around, just thought I'd share an experience that I had today..

So, I've been reading rwg for many too many hours over the past week and a half or so, when I first came to the forum my interest for watches was high but my knowledge and brand awareness low, I knew kinda what brands were the big ones and which weren't and I had my views on Rolex (which started out as quite negative have now been completely changed by the enthusiasts on this board! I seem to be growing a large desire to purchase one - which is the first sign!)

Today I go to the 'mall'/shopping center near me and for the first time I look at the watches in all the high end jewellers and AD's and actually know what things are!

"Ohh the super avenger, ohh the planet ocean with the orange strap!" [excitement]

Usually the windows full of watches become a torrential jargon of random shineys but no, not today! Today I know exactly what I'm looking at!

One thing that did surprise me, since I've never obviously paid so much attention to the watches before, HOW TINY ARE THEY!? I suppose I became so accustomed to blown up pictures looking for inperfections on this board, that today when I saw all the models (like the Super Avenger in particular which people call huge) I came to the realisation the actual time pieces look tiny! I didnt get any of the watches out and try them on although I should have particularly with the super avenger but AD retail salesmen/women are intimidating.. (kinda)

I wonder if anyone has had similar experiences with sizes of watches on the pictures on here then seeing the actual piece in person?

I will add 1 thing; theres something sad about seeing these beautiful watches on display in the window not ticking, I think they should all be started so you can see their movement. Anyone agree?

Hi there, I'm a new forum member and some of you might have seen a couple of my inputs around, just thought I'd share an experience that I had today..

So, I've been reading rwg for many too many hours over the past week and a half or so, when I first came to the forum my interest for watches was high but my knowledge and brand awareness low, I knew kinda what brands were the big ones and which weren't and I had my views on Rolex (which started out as quite negative have now been completely changed by the enthusiasts on this board! I seem to be growing a large desire to purchase one - which is the first sign!)

Today I go to the 'mall'/shopping center near me and for the first time I look at the watches in all the high end jewellers and AD's and actually know what things are!

"Ohh the super avenger, ohh the planet ocean with the orange strap!" [excitement]

Usually the windows full of watches become a torrential jargon of random shineys but no, not today! Today I know exactly what I'm looking at!

One thing that did surprise me, since I've never obviously paid so much attention to the watches before, HOW TINY ARE THEY!? I suppose I became so accustomed to blown up pictures looking for inperfections on this board, that today when I saw all the models (like the Super Avenger in particular which people call huge) I came to the realisation the actual time pieces look tiny! I didnt get any of the watches out and try them on although I should have particularly with the super avenger but AD retail salesmen/women are intimidating.. (kinda)

I wonder if anyone has had similar experiences with sizes of watches on the pictures on here then seeing the actual piece in person?

I will add 1 thing; theres something sad about seeing these beautiful watches on display in the window not ticking, I think they should all be started so you can see their movement. Anyone agree?

I agree. They are display models anyway, why not just put them them in watchwinder overnight. I hate looking at the rolex ads and not seeing the sweep on them.

and btw, most staff at ads are on .

I've had to wear glasses my entire life, and am at an age where last year I had to move to bifocals, so my eyesight is less than stellar. So even when I look at my watches through a decent magnifying glass I still don't see the level of detail I see in the work of our best photographers. They are amazing.

As for watches in AD showrooms, those are polished and lit to perfection. To really appreciate the beauty of their watches they need to be out of the showroom and worn for at least a week before the showroom aura wears off. One of the joys of repdom is that you can try different models for a few months before deciding what really works for you... or doesn't. At the AD that privilige will cost you thousands.

I've had to wear glasses my entire life, and am at an age where last year I had to move to bifocals, so my eyesight is less than stellar. So even when I look at my watches through a decent magnifying glass I still don't see the level of detail I see in the work of our best photographers. They are amazing.

As for watches in AD showrooms, those are polished and lit to perfection. To really appreciate the beauty of their watches they need to be out of the showroom and worn for at least a week before the showroom aura wears off. One of the joys of repdom is that you can try different models for a few months before deciding what really works for you... or doesn't. At the AD that privilige will cost you thousands.

Thats an interesting way to look at it jkerouac, like rep collecting is just 'practicing til' the big buy'? :p

wait to you try and play with the innards of your watch. it really shrinks then :bangin:

luckily i live near one of the largest watch stores there is (tourneau) they have like 5 floors of watches- everything

you could want. its great to check the quality of the reps and to see which one you'd like to buy. i have several gens

too - some of them bought or traded there.

How's Tourneau on trades? I've purchased most of my gens from them (and Alpha Omega before them...Boston area people may know what I'm talking about)... I've heard they can do a decent deal on trade in's but I've never taken advantage of them before...