When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

can i make my own Datewheel Overlay?

Guest Dr.TuB

is it possible just to print one out and stick it over the existing datewheel that i have?

maybe someone has them on a pdf file or jpg?

i have an asian UPO but its got the white date wheel with black #s (its incorrect) and i would like to make it myself and fix this problem

Making your own datewheel overlay is NOT as easy as it sounds. Even if you have a high-res scanner and an equal quality high end printer and try to do it 'on the cheap', the resolution is just horrible. Especially when you have a cyclops with its magnification-- even on a good machine there is unacceptible pixilation. If you were to attempt to do your own, silk screen or some other form of paint is the only way to go. I dont have that kind of expertise, nor the time. Its just easier to purchase one elsewhere.....

Good Luck, hope it turns out.

-K

is it possible just to print one out and stick it over the existing datewheel that i have?

maybe someone has them on a pdf file or jpg?

i have an asian UPO but its got the white date wheel with black #s (its incorrect) and i would like to make it myself and fix this problem

It's easier if you go from a piece with an overlay to changing the overlay than going to a piece ADDING an overlay. If you do the latter...you will need a thicker dial spacer to allow the datewheel to turn...but not so thick that you need a taller cannon pinion, etc.

I believe it's been done before...I remember reading people doing this...but dont recall the success ratio. It all depends on your deree of pickiness too. Remember...there are some who notice asymmetrical chrono pushers on a Rolex 6263...and others who when explained what this is...can barely see it (me being one of them... :) )...or others who add thicker springbars to make things more accurate, or who shave down bezels on lathes to make them more accurate, etc, etc...while others take their watches out the box, wear, and enjoy them...no mods...no cares...all smiles.