When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ziggy....need Help On The Val7753 Again..

MADRED7

Hi The Zigmeister,

in April I ruined my Valjoux 7753 when trying to install new black subdial hands (posted that).

I went to my local watchsmith who said he will fix the problem by installing a new 30-minute-counter wheel.....he has to took the whole movement into it´s parts....this will cost me around 250$......wow what a pricey rep I will own soon.

Now he has the watch for nearly 3 months and claims he has to wait for a 30-minute-counter-wheel from Richemont because the normal 7753 wheels will not fit! Huh???

I thought the PAM188 SWISS 7753 carrys a normal movement you can source from any part-supplier.

The Zigmeister: is there any chance to get a spare 30-minute-counter-wheel that will fit this Swiss 7753 PAM188 movement...you have definitely had this movement taken apart and maybe you can tell me if he is a dumb-ass or he is correct and the movement is not normal???!!!

I did not tell him that it´s a rep and I fear he just passed the watch on to RICHEMNONT to get it fixed...and they will hold it :o

Any idea or advice will be deeply appriciated.

Theo

ETA has stated that the dont' have any 7753 parts for sale anymore...according to ETA the 7753 is no longer in production.

If you broke the 30 minute counting wheel you will not be able to replace it. I know because I had the exact same problem on a watch in house (identical issue, Do-it-yourself and broke it off), and after 6 months I gave up trying to get a new wheel from ETA through my supplier. I did end up fixing it myself and getting it to work.

A 7753 is a 7753, they are all the same, ETA only makes one type.

It still amazes me that folks with no experience at all on watches try to do work themselves to try and save a few dollars, and in the end either ruin something or damage the watch and end up spending much more $$$ on the repair.

Beyond basic stuff like removing a movement to get the dust off, or other simple issues, if you dont' have the experience or the tools, then leave it up to someone who does...in the end, you don't save any money.

Sorry to hear about your issue, but there is no fix and no parts...

And for the record, the 30 minute wheel is easy to get at, and only required the dial and one plate be removed, less than 1% of the watch has to come apart to get at this part and repair it...your watchmaker is bullshitting you and padding the work amount.

Lesson is, if you dont' have the experience, or worse yet, if you have to ask how to do something, your in over your head...take some courses and learn all you can and practice before you attempt home made watch repairs... I see this type of stuff all the time and it just baffles me as to why...

RG

• 2 weeks later...

The Zigmeister,

I appriciate your honesty and must say...you are totally correct!

I can do a 6497, vintage dials and hands......but I should have passed the PAM188 with the broken minute-counter-wheel to an expert!

You stated you did a fix in the past.......

...now my question: CAN YOU DO TAHT AGAIN FOR MY WATCH?

I will get the watch back from the watchsmith in the next weeks and am now looking for another solution.

Buying a new 7753 is pricey....(nearly the cost of a total new 188)...a fix would be the best alternative, me thinks.

CAN YOU HELP?

Thanks for letting me know, I am in Germany but have no probs with sending international....

Theo

The way to fix it is to drill a hole in the top of the gear in fit a new pinion in it. But this is a very difficult and skilled operation as the dimensions here are minute and it would not be cheap!!

It could be your lucky day as I have a spare - what's it worth to you bearing in mind that I would normally have kept this for the very reason you need it!!! PM me.