When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Suggestions requested- What's a good CG these days for a manual wind 44mm case?

ubiquitous

Hey guys-

Well... I hate to raise one of these 'who has the best...' types of questions, but I'm in a bit of a pinch. My current CG on my Pre-A is in some pretty rough shape- It's seen better days after having been banged up a bit (I got mine used), and what's worse- The pin holding the lever seems to work it's way loose more often than I'd like.

So, I throw myself on the mercy of the PAM gurus here; which CG would be best these days for a 44mm Pre-A? i.e. the flat, standard CG (not the Pre-V or H series).

Thoughts?

Much thanks in advance

Cheers,

R

I have been using the CG from Angus's Ultimate 111E Ubi....Other than a Jimmy CG, it is the best available.

The "V" CG is spot on for a 201 mike

I allways thought the A-F series had the flat tops with the Pre-V & historics with the bulge like "V"s, that was the look I was going for with my 201a but I can't even find a flat topped CG at the moment to use. I sent Angus an E-mail to see if he could get any but with it being chinese new year I wont hear back for a bit,failing that a WTB may be in order I guess

None of the gen crowns are flat-top. Pre-V and post-H series crowns have a curve and a flare towards the outer edge, while A-F have just a curve, both top-down as well as reducing curve from the case side towards the pin.

Angus/Ruby 111E CG is good, but not great, the top is almost flat and the lever shape isn't quite right. Also top of the lever needs a little re-work to make the flat cutout at the top a bit more round. I have 2 S/S from Angus (111E) and one Ti from Ruby (PAM036 MM), they come from the same factory, different from the "standard" one. I also found the half-moon shape a little narower on Angus' CG.

IMO, the best CGs were the ones that use dto come on 'standard' Pam 44mm rep cases in 05/06, but the finish and fit on some of those left a lot to be desired. The major issu was overdoing the curve at the top, ultimately resulting in CG being too thin.

Keep an eye on sale forums, and/or post a WTB from time to time. There are plenty of good CGs still around.

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

interesting tread, i need one for my 207A projekt,

I got yesterday a new one from DSN and it looks not bad, thicker lever, nice curve but the brushing finish is not so good and lever inside is crude (i hope this is the right word)

i post pics later today

thanks mate i try this, any links for buy fibreglass pen or a scouring pad?

Look in your supermarket for 3M Scotch Brite heavy-duty scouring pad. Go for the green one (yellow sponge side), avoid the one with pink sponge backed with the dark purple pad.

Check the ebay for pen eraser pens, I don't use these but they would be a better choice for the small surface brushing as well fixing the scratches, they reporteddly work well especialy on Ti brushed cases.

have fun...:)

Look in your supermarket for 3M Scotch Brite heavy-duty scouring pad. Go for the green one (yellow sponge side), avoid the one with pink sponge backed with the dark purple pad.

Check the ebay for pen eraser pens, I don't use these but they would be a better choice for the small surface brushing as well fixing the scratches, they reporteddly work well especialy on Ti brushed cases.

have fun...:)

thx mate Some things are so simple :)

thx mate Some things are so simple :)

Or - a great alternative is 'Garryflex' abrasive blocks. They're cheap; I just refinished a V CG and a Ti case in a matter of minutes - the quality of finish is next to perfect. It's what a lot of enthusiasts use to refinish genuine Panerai's when they get knocked about! Go for the 120 grit, and you really can't go wrong.