When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 253 versions? Are there multiple current versions?

b_hack

Hi all,

I'm looking to pick up a 253 after the CNY is over. Josh, and Angus's site have thinner numbers at 12 and 6 compared to the version shown on PTSwiss, although the face looks more off on the thicker number version I see online.

Are these two different current versions or have the dealers just not updated their online pics? What does a current version 253 look like if I were to order from the Cartel? Thicker numbering like the Gen?

The next issue is the second hand - completely wrong color blue. They want 50.00 for a new second hand!!! Any idea where a spare could be sourced for less?

TIA

Hi all,

I'm looking to pick up a 253 after the CNY is over. Josh, and Angus's site have thinner numbers at 12 and 6 compared to the version shown on PTSwiss, although the face looks more off on the thicker number version I see online.

Are these two different current versions or have the dealers just not updated their online pics? What does a current version 253 look like if I were to order from the Cartel? Thicker numbering like the Gen?

The next issue is the second hand - completely wrong color blue. They want 50.00 for a new second hand!!! Any idea where a spare could be sourced for less?

TIA

You're correct. The thicker number version is pretty much discontinued as the dial's minute markers on this watch seemed to disappoint more people than the fact that the other version had thinner numbers. The thcker number version is also said to have sapphire crystal. The original (almost) "correct dial" version has in effect 4 main problems:

1. The 12 and 6 numbers are a fraction too thin

2. The '10' in the 3'oclock chrono subdial is written in serif font when it should be written in SANS SERIF

3. Although the this version has correct hash marks between the minute markers, this piece is separate and smooth and is not a continuation of the hobnail finish on the rest of the watch dial. The original version has the same markings but written directly onto the hobnail face. (minor detail).

4. The chrono second hand is not colored the correct brilliant blue of the original (also very slight.. if you've seen an original in person you will only notice the difference if comparing both in very good strong lighting conditions)

My peronsal pam253 older thin number version:

IMG_0654.jpg

The NEWER thin number version is the same as the older version with the exception that early in 2008 dealers corrected the the 3'oclock subdial to Sans Serif (which for me personally is the biggest tell on this watch)

here's the new version with K2222 (jakub) AR coating courtesy of member JB:

IMG_5671_mod.jpg

another one from member reklamkillen (Notice his chrono needle looks exceptionally bright with his camera's flash but that the minute markers are actually on a separate that surrounds the dial):

DSC_0087.jpg

Hi,

Nice watch, nice choice. but beware that it is no longer available with sapphire crystal. only mineral with no AR.

Plaifender pointed out that the 3 o'clock subdial is off and a big tell. Also that the watch does not have AR coating is a BIG TELL. The original has. Also having no superlume is also a big tell. I let mine being superlumed by the master The Zigmeister. And AR-ed by Jakub, K2222.

But most important with this watch is the risk of crystal explosion. Do a search on this forum, you will find it.

It happened TWICE already with this watch. So instead of getting another seconds hand, I would rather spend the money on a new case + glass which should cost less than 50usd. Yes that's what i wrote... 50usd or less.

And if you are already looking at bigger or smaller numbers on the dial, believe me the biggest tell on these watches is first missing AR and missing SUPER LUME.

By the way, the chrono Daylight versions have real sapphire and do not tend to break. (...). There are better PAMs out there, like the new improved pam252 for instance.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info...'

I have found a dealer who claims to have the old Sapphire dome case rep.

Is it possible to get a sapphire dome that fits the rep case?

The Lume is probably a bit more than 50.00 USD :)

Who is the best dealer with respect to selling you the watch and parts. I though 50.00 for the hands was rather insulting - it shows me that some dealers feel they have us bent over a barrel so to speak.

Hi,

Nice watch, nice choice. but beware that it is no longer available with sapphire crystal. only mineral with no AR.

Plaifender pointed out that the 3 o'clock subdial is off and a big tell. Also that the watch does not have AR coating is a BIG TELL. The original has. Also having no superlume is also a big tell. I let mine being superlumed by the master The Zigmeister. And AR-ed by Jakub, K2222.

But most important with this watch is the risk of crystal explosion. Do a search on this forum, you will find it.

It happened TWICE already with this watch. So instead of getting another seconds hand, I would rather spend the money on a new case + glass which should cost less than 50usd. Yes that's what i wrote... 50usd or less.

And if you are already looking at bigger or smaller numbers on the dial, believe me the biggest tell on these watches is first missing AR and missing SUPER LUME.

By the way, the chrono Daylight versions have real sapphire and do not tend to break. (...). There are better PAMs out there, like the new improved pam252 for instance.

Good luck.

Hookie is right. I've not had this problem of exploding crystals but hooky has had some very bad experiences with this which he's shared with us.

Although he's right about the exploding crystals, i don't agree with him completely on this particular watch's biggest "TELLS" . I would tell you that the lack of AR on this watch is NOT a BIG tell.. as this panerai has a domed crystal, the crystal on this particular model will never "dissappear" so to speak, like on other watches. I've also seen this watch in person as well as a pam 286 and AR is NOT that apparent on the genuine. See my post called "treat me like a millionaire" to see how my watch fooled a panerai dealer here in madrid. This watch is superb and probably my favorite watch of my collection. The biggest tell of this watch for me is the subdial number. Hooky states that it is AR and superlume, but AR is something that this watch will not benefit hugely from in regards to it's dome shape. The superlume is something that is not a tell unless someone notices your watch in the dark.. in which case.. they probably wouldn't notice that it's Panerai... seeing as how it would be dark anyways... Each person has his own pet peeves though.

Check out this Genuine. Obviously the second hand is nice and bright.. but the AR doesn't do too much for this watch. Look at how much light is reflected:

Straight_MF_Blue_Stitch_Mid_5.jpg

To answer your question. From what i've read on the forum, it's not possible to change crystals from a saphhire watch and put it into a mineral crystal watch. The crystall of the saphhire is a tad larger or something. You MIGHT be able to take a newer version movement and dial and put it in a saphire case/crystal. But you'd had to ask some others on here about that. If you've found a dealer that has the older case.. beware that the dial of this watch is much more off asthetically than the version Hooky and I are talking about. Consider it carefully. I love my newer version.. but I DO wish i had a sapphire crystal

And about the $50.. Hooky was referring to the cost of a new case+crystal as backup and not the cost to relume your watch. (since the mineral crystal version has had instances of exploding crystal syndrome!)

Good luck with your buy! let us konw which one you get!

Edited by plaifender

It is not only about if lots of light is reflected or not, it is also about the blue/purple oily surface of the AR coating. The original also has this.

And about the lume:

If you walk from outside to inside, for example a pub or something darker area, the original already has the lume effect, since normal daylight is enough charge the lume already. That is very noticible. The rep does not do that.

Edited by hooky