When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Condensation in watch after "passed" pressure test?

jleef

OK, moments ago I was praising Timpson on their pressure test service, now it seems that my particular branch may have got it wrong?

The guy in store sent me off for half an hour whilst testing the watch to 100m, I came back just in time to see him dunking the watch into the liquid, saying he was just going to check for bubbles.

He said it passed the test, however when I got home I noticed a lot of what seemed to be scratching on the face. Worrying that he may have scratched the mineral somehow I spend a good while with glass cleaners, toothpaste and elbow grease trying to remove the marks. After this did nothing I left the watch under a lamp for 5 minutes and the marks were gone.

So I guess it's safe to say that despite his words it failed the test? Since there were no bubbles in the test I guess I have no idea how waterproof the watch is - but would I be right in assuming it'd be good advice to keep the watch away from all water save the odd rain drop until I can get it properly waterproofed?

Sorry to post a question which I can easily gather answers from via a search - I'm just confused that the watch seemed to pass a pressure test yet the face misted up later...

I am not sure how moisture got in..

I would personally put the watch in Silica gel

to pull out all moisture so you don't ruin the movement! ;)

I am sure others will chime in ...

I would think the watch did NOT pass!

I don't know much though...

Lets listen to the pros here...

Good Luck..

MM

If the misting was only slight, it is possible that the watch had been initially sealed, on a very humid day, and immersing it in cold water, has created the misting.

Living in high humidity climates, creates a problem in resealing a watch, even opening the crown can allow enough humid air in.

I know of watch repairers, who work in these climates, who operate air driers, (dehumidifiers) in their work rooms to overcome this problem. I have looked into this myself, having experienced this issue, just can't justify the +$300-$500 cost for a decent unit.

Offshore

If the misting was only slight, it is possible that the watch had been initially sealed, on a very humid day, and immersing it in cold water, has created the misting.

Living in high humidity climates, creates a problem in resealing a watch, even opening the crown can allow enough humid air in.

I know of watch repairers, who work in these climates, who operate air driers, (dehumidifiers) in their work rooms to overcome this problem. I have looked into this myself, having experienced this issue, just can't justify the +$300-$500 cost for a decent unit.

Offshore

I guess that's possible. I didn't see droplets or anything so didn't recognise it as condensation at first. It was more like a fine scratching / mist - as if somebody had run wire wool over the glass.

I've had it under a lamp for the last hour or two and there doesn't seem to be any more fogging. Took the back off as well and all I can see moisture wise is what looks like grease around the seal.

Either way I'll leave it under the light for a while yet, and I guess I'll be keeping it away from water until such time as I find somebody here in the UK who can give it a proper waterproofing treatment :(

Hmmmm. if there are signs of greasing the O ring, it sounds like the watch had been opened and lubed prior/during the test?

(Which one would hope had happened)

Now I would not have thought you would suffer high humidity in the UK at this time of year??

(Where I am right now is 32C and 100% humidity- perfect for this scenario!)

Which would make my hypothesis, less than feasable!

Nevertheless, the watch will obviously need to be retested.

I have seen that "streaking" condensation before, and it is relatively minor. But any moisture in there, is not acceptable.

Sounds like a lamp and plastic baggy with silica gel etc is needed. Maybe even see if it can be closed up next time in a room with a dehumidifier.

On another note... if Timpsons are a franchised chain, which it sounds like... you may have just lucked out with a rep friendly branch/employee, or one who just didn't know, so necessarily all branches/stores won't do a test.

Offshore

The cheap price you quoted was for Pressure test ..Im assuming no element of waterproofing could be invovled.

So what had been carried out for the half hour you were sent away for (or did some ladies shoes need re heeling?) as from your description the pressure test was only carried out on your return.

Properly conducted water could not make ingress, only 'dunking' the watch into UNPRESSURISED water would cause this

A monkey, even one with a Bergeon presssure tester, is still just a monkey.

The cheap price you quoted was for Pressure test ..Im assuming no element of waterproofing could be invovled.

So what had been carried out for the half hour you were sent away for (or did some ladies shoes need re heeling?) as from your description the pressure test was only carried out on your return.

Properly conducted, water could not make ingress, only 'dunking' the watch into UNPRESSURISED water would cause this

So right you are R!

Didn't even think of that aspect of the "test"!

Actually, can I use this in the future? It sure encompasses some of the "watch techs" out there :D

Offshore

Humid in the watch can also be in the UK/EU right now. Specially if someone is doing the laundry in the home, making the home a lot more humid and moist with the heating on.

I had this humidity problem before with my watch smith. He had a very practical solution for it. He unscrew the case back, but the watch with the crystal down on a piece of soft cloth and put that for a short term on a warm lamp/light.

He specifically warned not to keep it to long there, because otherwise the different oils which are in the watch might leak out of its place when the watch become too hot.

after warming directly put the case back back on it.

Cheers,

J.