When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Ulysse Nardin Dual Time Big Date 42MM

RobbieG

But UN and Corum are not even in the same league my freind. I have to draw the line at that and respectfully correct you. Corum does things just to de different and goofy. Nor has Corum even done one technical thing coming even close to the least of UN's achievements.

then i guess you havent seen these before

corumgoldentourbillonpanr4.jpg

corumprize1wo8.jpg

yes they dont have that many complicated models as UN, but i would say these models are quite an archievment and comparable to UN

but designwise and concept of course different

well in the end its a matter of taste and different points of view :) ...

Yeah, the Corum statement isn't really opinion, but fact. They just aren't a serious watch company. And objectively speaking having owned a Millenary, I don't think UN is any more "fun" than AP design-wise. And because of AP's out of the box designs (which I love BTW), I can't really put AP with Patek and VC either. I think of AP kind of on its own like UN. Patek and VC and Breguet and Blancpain in particular are all direct competitors for traditional designs. Personally, I like VC the best. Everyone has their favorite of those. I know Bytor likes Breguet the best for instance.

Again, I only wanted to point out that there are just three serious watch brands left besides Rolex that aren't part of a conglomerate and UN is one of them. You have to admire anyone who is independent. They all have to earn that living - and I do think UN earns every penny with its dedication to the advancement of horology - and they finance that mission by selling the Marine line which is their trademark. And a trademark I might add that was once again earned to the fullest by literally owning the marine chronometer market from the mid 1800's through the early 1900's...

i love AP because they are one of the heaviest brands but still not as boring as VC or patek. i think ap is young and cool, thats what i like

Yeah, you found the one Corum achievement if you want to call it that. The Golden (shower) Bridge. LOL. My best friend has them in all three metals. He loves them but they are junk. They have never worked right from the first day. Too fragile and WIS don't really like them - kind of feminine too really. Plus they all lose gobs of time and as such this is why Corum will never have the respect that UN has in the industry - or AP. The GB just isn't a robust design.

AP and UN have roughly the same annual production and they have the same ideals. UN is outselling them slightly but it is just semantics. AP gets more per unit for their bread and butter which is the RO stuff than UN does with the Marine stuff - both nautical themes BTW. But UN has more high dollar complications in production which edges up the returns a bit. So they are neck and neck really with AP making more from the lower end and UN making more from the higher end. Very similar companies...

then i guess you havent seen these before

yes they dont have that many complicated models as UN, but i would say these models are quite an archievment and comparable to UN

but designwise and concept of course different

well in the end its a matter of taste and different points of view :) ...

Yeah, it kind of sneaks up on you. UN stock pics are always so terrible I'm convinced that is how they keep annual production down. If people who buy on the internet from pictures ever find out what they all really look like in the flesh they are going to have riot on thier hands. As for the Dual Time in particular, if you travel at all it is the one to have. Heck even if you don't it is great. It crosses over so well. It is definitely not casual and it isn't dress. Really unique.

You can't really see in the pics but the inside of the indices are faceted like a cut diamond and are high polished. That combined with the smooth jet black dial and the strongest doubel AR I have ever seen just makes it look so rich you can't even believe it. They just dance and gleam in the light - especially low voltage type indoor light. You need sunglasses. But yet the classic lines of the case and strap and reasonable size don't make it gaudy at all. Still very understated but yet it pops off the chart. I get a LOT of head turns when I wear this. Store clerks, servers, people at cocktail parties ask me about it all the time. Of the lot, this and the DJ get the most compliments by far. It's the metal man, the metal that gets them... ;)

!@#%T^%# Robbie!

I didnt want one until I saw this....

WTF am I going to do without one now?!!??? ;)

Great piece! Wear it well!

-K