When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A7750 movement question

SBrat

I have bought 4-5 watches with A 7750 movement. Plan to get couple more. I am planning to get the movements serviced within the first 3-6 months, as recommended by The Zigmeister.

I feel scared and uneasy when I set the day/date/time, since I can literally feel some resistance and wobbliness when doing this.

Hence, I am am keen to pick up a watch winder which would give me option of 650-1200 TBDs with a switch to control the direction of each winder head. Having said that, I would imagine that if the watches are on the winder, there would be more wear and tear on the movement, since it is now running all the time, though it would help reduce the risk of possible damage through setting time/day/date again and again.

Will appreciate your advice on what is the better option-putting the wtaches on winder or risking damage through time/date setting. My preference is to put them on a winder, if wear and tear is not too much of an issue. Will appreciate advice from movement experts.

Thanks in advance.

The question could apply to any movement caliber, the principles are the same.

If you never run the watch, it will never wear out. If you have a watch in need of servicing (either not done initially, or overdue for service), as long as it's running, it will wear out.

If you have a clean, correctly serviced watch, and you get it serviced every 5 or so years, it shouldn't make any difference if the watch is running contantly or once in a while when it comes to wear inside the movement. Wear comes from friction, a clean and oiled watch has no friction, once the oil dries up, wear starts.

As for the risk of damage while setting the watch, change the date/day at 6 o'clock and you will never risk damage, and remember the golden rule "never force anything", if it's not doing what it normally does, twisting the crown harder isn't going to make it fix itself...

RG