When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modding A Vintage Sub

OK everyone. I have an asian auto sub that Nanuq kindly sent to me a while back. Nanuq mentioned that this sub would be a good starting point for creating a good vintage model. Now I'm ready to get started. In the process, I'd like to upgrade the movement.

I'd like to source a vintage dial, preferably something like a 5513 and hands for eta movement to get started.

Any tips or leads would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Indy

Here's a goood link for some Eta hands:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Tudor-Submariner...3QQcmdZViewItem

A vintage 5513 dial will probably be smaller than a rep dial and the same holds for the case. So you can vintagize your existing dial or get another rep dial. I tried sticking an authentic 16610 dial in a rep 16610 case and it wouldn't work- dial too small. Last night I measured a GMT II rep dial at 29mm and the gen on ebay was listed at 28mm. Unless you got a MBW, it probably won't work. You might try aging your existing dial. Good luck.

Alligoat,

Thanks for the link and response. I am definitely looking for a rep dial. The one I have is a fantasy dial "Triple Red Sub" with maxi hands. It is a cool looking dial, but it has gold metal rings around the lume on the hour markers, not the painted dial that would be more accurate.

With a 37mm case, a gen dial might fit also. I guess it's time to take the dial out of the case and measure it.

I tried to navigate around on www.watchsilix.com/ but alot of the pics weren't showing up and some of the classic subs are out of production. Interesting how they've reversed their name from silixwatch to watchsilix.