When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newbie wants to mod his 1st PAN

Genebe

Dispite an unfavorable reaction when I saw my 1st Panerai, I recently found myself buying a replica (I have no idea which model it would be). These watched definately grow on you, and I'm afraid that I've been bitten!

Now I know that I probably have a terrible version, but I'd like to do something different and use what I have as the basis for a great-looking mod! I've always loved the most accurate replicas out there, but I wouldn't be opposed to doing something completely different and coming up with a "fantasy" watch. Accurate or totally modified, I want a great looking watch that doesn't look like a cheapie.

So what suggestions does everyone have? Consider what I am starting with, and let me know what can be done to these watches.

Thanks & I've definately enjoyed reading the forums! (I think I'm getting an itch for one of those older model replicas too! lol!)

post-20045-1233103167_thumb.jpg

PAN is a cooking vessel. PAM is a watch...

Ok now that is out of the way, you should start over - although straps are critical and if you are going to own a PAM you are going to want a few (or more) really nice and diverse straps. If I were going to a PAM I would probably do an 01B or something like that. You want to choose a model with a closed caseback as the movements will never look right. You will have to do alot of searching to find the best parts for the watch you choose and you will always need to plan on having someone do your lume and cannon pin fix for starters. Then it is a question of whether you are OK with any dial, CG's, hands, crown, crystal, etc. or if you are going to just start with lume and pin and a couple nice straps and go from there. But keep in mind that you WILL want to keep going so I suggest making sure you start with the best case, dial and a Swiss movement as you want a good foundation. You might ask PAM expert as I have no interest or knowledge of them, but I seem to remember that Angus might have a partially modded 01B that may be a good base watch. Good luck to you.

actually it's generic PAN. Comes in a white can that just says "cooking spray" lol!

Thanks for the suggestion, Robbie. I definately want a quality base for any project, and I'm not so sure that what I have will work. I definately will get a new strap, as I hate that ugly tan thing!