When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Venus hand wind

oirish

Greetings from Ireland. I like manual winding watches. there is something 'timeless' :p about them. Ive read of different versions of the venus handwind but nowhere goes into any great detail. From what I understand this movement is a rather good one with regards to price and reputation. Does anyone know where I can find more info on this mvt?

It's actually Venus copy of Seagull ST-19, and the movement has pretty good reputation.

Ziggy once made a great review of it. Perhaps he could repost it to the archives? :)

The only problem with this movement is the constantly "wandering" '6 subdial hand. That's the hour totalizer in real chronograph watches, but in this movement it's a standard 12 hour hand (which just follows the main hour hand).

The solution was this.

Here is my old Speedmaster with this movement, with "killed" '6 subdial hand.

I see. I didnt know there was that issue.

The venus movement will be in a patek moonphase chrono Im considering buying. The moon phase is at 6 where the movement's wandering hand is.

Ive never had a moon phase (surprise surprise!) and I assumed the hand would rotate from one end of the phase to the other; 180 degrees or thereabouts and back again. If I understand correctly, the movement's wandering hand at 6 would be ok in this situation. What do you think By as you know the movement?

Regardless, I really like this watch and its one that would only come out on special occasions. I think its a must have.

Ive never had a moon phase (surprise surprise!) and I assumed the hand would rotate from one end of the phase to the other; 180 degrees or thereabouts and back again. If I understand correctly, the movement's wandering hand at 6 would be ok in this situation. What do you think By as you know the movement?

Yeah it's probably ok. Who really figures out those Moonbase watches anyway?

Not me... I never really studied it. I guess it's good for the loons though... to avoid going outside during the full moon. :D