When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SMP problems with movement (gen eta?)

jleef

Hey guys, couple of further questions regarding my recent SMP purchase.

Firstly, something that happened one of the first times I opened the case: this fell out:

img0135xf1.jpgimg0136fm6.jpg

I didn't give it much further thought at the time since the watch functioned normally still, but today after another problem (more on that in a minute) I opened the case and the whole movement fell out at one side - held back only by the crown.

img0132tz5.jpg

It seems like the part that fell out was some sort of fixture for holding the movement, or part of it, in the case:

Should I ask my dealer to send me a replacement movement, being as I've barely had the watch a week? I feel with the help of the board I can probably swap over an entire movement but not too sure about delving into the parts themselves...

Secondly, and the reason I opened the case: the watch suddenly stopped ticking today. It took several swirls of the watch plus several fiddles with the crown to get it to start again. The rotor seems to move freely, and the cogs in the centre (part of the power reserve mechanism?) move with the rotor ok. Also, although it seems ok now, the watch wouldn't start at first when pushing the crown right back in from the hacking position.

After this I wound the watch manually a few times - bad for it I know, but since I've had it on all day the rotor should have been moving around enough to wind the reserve - is this a possible sign of more damage? I'm confused being as the watch and movement should basically be brand new...

Finally, can anybody confirm from this pic that it's a genuine ETA or is that asking too much? :p

We'd need a picture of the balance wheel and even then ETA confirmation can be iffy... the movement may need a service...or you can find a rep-friendly watchsmith in your area who's willing to replace the movement holders...

64839579sd2.th.jpg

B)