When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

In the past 3 months I have been servicing on average one 7750 movement a day.The quality varies from extremely good to absolutely dire,in its worst form the wheels and pivots are blue and therefore very soft-the mainsprings are too short- the winding wheels are too soft-and the pivots on the auto drive wheel are too small-The better quality are made with hardened steel and the only problem they present is that the seconds hand was put on under pressure when manufactured-they are very hard to remove and paper thin-when reassembling movement they most allways cannot be tightened and should be replaced-I have been unable to obtain correct hands for several watches-so I have a problem wether to alter the appearance of watch with another secs hand or fit the original back knowing that it most probably fail.This movement is one of the most difficult to service and is the only movement that I find challenging .Watchmaker Michael

What Michael is telling us is a little disturbing! From the majority of the posts I have read in this forum, I was under the impression that the A7750 was a pretty strong motor and would last for years if it had a professional overhaul within the first year of its life. It appears that even an overhaul is no guarantee that a 7750 won't fail due to weak parts...

It just goes to reinforce the fact that buying replicas is a lottery ! :huh:

Servicing 90 A7750's in 3 months is certainly a record, I am amazed that this many have been sent in by RWG members, genuine watch shops would never see that many chrono's in a year...:)

Well I have been taking apart and servicing A7750's for close to 4 years now...I have yet to have one wear out, even the one I serviced 4 years ago that has been sitting and running non-stop on my winder for 4 years, still keeps perfect time and works perfect.

Wheels are made of brass and can't be blued, and blued steel is hard, not soft, so those comments are a bit confusing...in any case, I have never seen in any of this in any of the A7750's I have serviced, all the pivots are polished nickel coloured steel.

Short mainsprings?? well when the barrel is full and you can't fit in anymore spring, and when the Asian mainspring is the same length as the ETA one, I don't know how it can be too short...again...confused about that statement.

Soft winding wheels...they are made of brass and brass is soft, all the wheels in all watches are made of brass, and the pivots are made of steel.

Too small autowinding pivots? never noted this issue either...

My experience is totally different than the one shared here, and my failure and return rate is so close to zero following service of the A7750, that it's not an issue.

RG

Servicing 90 A7750's in 3 months is certainly a record, I am amazed that this many have been sent in by RWG members, genuine watch shops would never see that many chrono's in a year...:)

Well I have been taking apart and servicing A7750's for close to 4 years now...I have yet to have one wear out, even the one I serviced 4 years ago that has been sitting and running non-stop on my winder for 4 years, still keeps perfect time and works perfect.

Wheels are made of brass and can't be blued, and blued steel is hard, not soft, so those comments are a bit confusing...in any case, I have never seen in any of this in any of the A7750's I have serviced, all the pivots are polished nickel coloured steel.

Short mainsprings?? well when the barrel is full and you can't fit in anymore spring, and when the Asian mainspring is the same length as the ETA one, I don't know how it can be too short...again...confused about that statement.

Soft winding wheels...they are made of brass and brass is soft, all the wheels in all watches are made of brass, and the pivots are made of steel.

Too small autowinding pivots? never noted this issue either...

My experience is totally different than the one shared here, and my failure and return rate is so close to zero following service of the A7750, that it's not an issue.

RG

Now I'm confused!... I would like to hear what Michael has to say... :huh:

• 2 months later...

Being totally inorant on the subject, my first impression is that maybe michael allen watchmaker is a subversive from one of the gen companies? Hmmm? :p Again, just my first impression and I resere the right to eat crow when it's proven otherwise. :black_eye: