When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Panerai Running Fast

Aidan

Just received a new Panerai 111h from a reputable dealer on here. Looks great but it is running very fast, gains over 5 minutes very hour. Is there any simple way of adjusting these watches or do I need to send it back? There seems to be a pointy thing with + and - in the back of the watch if this was adjusted would it do the trick?

Grateful for any advice as I don't really want the hassle of sending it back.

The + - will not compensate for 5 minutes an hour, it can compensate for about 1 minute every 24 hours...

Your hairspring is touching something, or twisted up...

Chances of getting it fixed on your own are slim, there is a risk you could damage it beyond repair. If you have a local watchmaker you could have them take care of it, as typically it's a quick and easy fix. It got that way probably due to getting bumped during shipping.

Slapping, or shaking the movement in hopes of getting it to seat correctly, is not recommended and could cause more damage.

You can try to let it run down and sometimes the hairspring will go to it's normal position when it's at rest and not moving.

A high quality picture of the movement would reveal the exact problem.

RG

Just received a new Panerai 111h from a reputable dealer on here. Looks great but it is running very fast, gains over 5 minutes very hour. Is there any simple way of adjusting these watches or do I need to send it back? There seems to be a pointy thing with + and - in the back of the watch if this was adjusted would it do the trick?

Grateful for any advice as I don't really want the hassle of sending it back.

You may have no idea how lucky you are . . . depending on the "reputable dealer."

My PVD Pam 028 (one of my most unique and expensive reps) did exactly as you describe - and it seems like if I recall correctly it was actually worse than that. I remember that I reset it twice thinking I had somehow set the hour hand wrong.

My reputable dealer was most cooperative - no doubt partially because I bought that watch on his recommendation. I sent it back as instructed, and when I got it back, it had been completely serviced, and it keeps time to within a few seconds per day.

I hope yours treats you as well.

Bill

My running fast Panerai is now running perfectly. I read a suggestion on another thread to tap the back of the watch like knocking on a door with the sort of vague hope of adjusting the hairspring. Didn't work the first two or three times but I persisted and to my slight amazement it has worked, it has gone from five minutes fast an hour to a few seconds slow a day.

Who needs watch repairers whan hitting them makes them work.