When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Perhaps the best SMP rep to date...a small review

bosk

A new purchase just came in the other day from a member over at RG.

DSC01048-1.jpg

DSC01043.jpg

As you can see...the He valve position is almost perfect. The crown guards are a huge improvement too. In this case, the CG are superior to my closed factory SMP with correct He placement shown below. A minor flaw is the pearl in which the closed factory has this 007 SMP beaten hands down. Another flaw is the crystal...slight coke bottle effect...not as bad as some other SMP reps but worst than a good blue SMP rep. The bracelet was HORRIBLE...I'm going to have to stick this on a NATO or ZULU or something.

omegablue2.jpg

Another advantage is case thickness. The caseback in this 007 SMP reduces the thickness to match that of a gen SMP, although the 007 rep is ~2mm shorter lug-to-lug in comparison to a gen. The 007 even has serial #'s like the closed factory too.

DSC01052.jpg

DSC01053.jpg

Yes...the 10258 out of 10007 does not make sense...freaken factories need to think on what they are doing sometimes!

the thickness is shown here with the closed factory on top and the 007 on bottom:

DSC01055.jpg

Supposedly, this 007 case was briefly available from our trusted dealers at the beginning of 2008. Due to the profile, this is the best SMP rep to date, IMO. It just sits on the wrist much nicer...like a gen. The crystal and pearl can be replaced, making it close to perfect and a super-rep. I was intending on building another franken with an electric blue or black dial but the caseback poses some problems being a limited edition 007. In the end, I'll probably just stick in my spare gen 007 dial or superlume the current dial and stick in a good crystal that has undergone Chief DAR. I only hesitate because the 007 SMP is too close to the blue SMP in appearance.

A quick pic of my sea of love :)

DSC01028.jpg

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the new acquisition.

I agree... very good case. I really like the crown guards.

Perhaps you could swap the bracelet from the "old school" SMP rep there and put a gen insert on it.

Those mods would finish it nicely.

PS: That Electric Blue is a beauty. :)

I agree... very good case. I really like the crown guards.

Perhaps you could swap the bracelet from the "old school" SMP rep there and put a gen insert on it.

Those mods would finish it nicely.

PS: That Electric Blue is a beauty. :)

I do love the electric blue and am considering swapping cases...or at least modding the electric blue case further by trimming the crown guards and sticking in a gen tube and crown (there is plenty of material to file down to get that V-shape and the height is about right). But since these cases are so hard to obtain, I always chicken out. Knowing how much the gen costs, I'm also hesitant to pour more money in the SMP reps.