When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement problem

dadog13

Hello friends!

Yesterday happened something that I was afraid that sooner or later will happen..My Angelus powered PAM started making problems...

The movement stops once the watch is put on the wrist (the mvt is wound)...while if I put it face down on the table it works great and w/o problems...

The problems started to appear yesterday...had it on my wrist in the office and it didn't want to run...once I came back home, I put it face down on the table, set the time and let it run...it did run w/o problems the whole night but once today I put it back again on my wrist it stopped working again...

Please help...

Thanks in advance for all the advices!

I believe you're not sure if it has been serviced. 'd better ask the seller if it has been cleaned, oiled and tested and regulated, after all it is a precious movement. And if not serviced, you can still let it be serviced. Won't be as expensive as an A7750 I assume, less parts...

I believe you're not sure if it has been serviced. 'd better ask the seller if it has been cleaned, oiled and tested and regulated, after all it is a precious movement. And if not serviced, you can still let it be serviced. Won't be as expensive as an A7750 I assume, less parts...

serviced or not - it really doesn't matter...

I asked if anybody could know (if I explained the situation) what was the problem? obviously until now, I didn't receive any useful info...

Is it about this watch?: http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/3/10/1...rkm_b674bfd.jpg

I cannot really see it clearly, but there are fingerprints all over. Is that on the crystal case back or is that inside on the movement? A good watch smith would not have left (fatty & acid) fingerprints on the movement, so if it is on the movement, I wonder if it really has been serviced....

Good luck!

J.

If the watch will not run dial up, the most likely problem is that the balance cock jewel for the balance wheel has fallen out or is damaged, or the pivot on the top of the balance wheel is either broken or bent.

It runs fine with the balance upside down, when you turn it right side up, the only difference is that the balance is now rotating on the opposite pivot...

RG

If the watch will not run dial up, the most likely problem is that the balance [censored] jewel for the balance wheel has fallen out or is damaged, or the pivot on the top of the balance wheel is either broken or bent.

It runs fine with the balance upside down, when you turn it right side up, the only difference is that the balance is now rotating on the opposite pivot...

RG

That's the answer I have been waiting for... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

A little update on the problem from my side...

The probl started to appear on Monday and continued on Tuesday...

I left it Tuesday on the desk face down for 8 hours cca (it was running fine)....after that I put it back on my wrist for an hour cca. (it worked fine) and then back on the table but this time face up (it run great for 16 hours)...now it is on my wrist for the last 1.5h and it works great again... :blink:

this is really strange...however by the end of this week if it continues to have this strange symptoms again, off it goes to my watchmakers bench!

serviced or not - it really doesn't matter...

I asked if anybody could know (if I explained the situation) what was the problem? obviously until now, I didn't receive any useful info...

It matters in the way that if it hasn't been properly serviced, it could be a minor problem (like not enough oil on a jewel or whatsoever), but otherwise it could be damaged parts.

If you need a watchmaker that is familliar with those movements, try contacting tourby, MAYBE he can help you.

Hope all gets well soon! I also have an SF240 on the way!

Ken

It matters in the way that if it hasn't been properly serviced, it could be a minor problem (like not enough oil on a jewel or whatsoever), but otherwise it could be damaged parts.

If you need a watchmaker that is familliar with those movements, try contacting tourby, MAYBE he can help you.

Hope all gets well soon! I also have an SF240 on the way!

Ken

K!

you are right...

I have my watchmaker who is able to fix it...I have two additional movements fully functioning and one for spares...so there is no fear that it won't be fixed (and I have VDB who will definitely give me a hand if I will need it)

Good luck with your vintage project!

Thanks to everybody!

Edited by dadog13

Is it about this watch?: http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/3/10/1...rkm_b674bfd.jpg

I cannot really see it clearly, but there are fingerprints all over. Is that on the crystal case back or is that inside on the movement? A good watch smith would not have left (fatty & acid) fingerprints on the movement, so if it is on the movement, I wonder if it really has been serviced....

Good luck!

J.

This are the first fingerprints which are in the same line as cotes de Geneve...

The movement plates are not in the best condition but a lot of years old

the movement works for month since our first fabulous GTG in Erfurt

ok the Picture shows not every detail of the plate

but if you look close they (fingerprints) are all in paralel lines

@ Vla:

i see the grey hairs growing on Stephans head, but this happen often to these 8 Days movments

same problem on a watch that lays upside down for running (not angelus but 8 days)

and thanks The Zigmeister for info

cheers helmut