When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gold Wrap Sub

I suppose it's possible that someone might recall, but I cannot seem to find the post where I talked about taking a two-tone sub with the "wrapped band" option to see how it would survive the real world.

Naturally, since I have a pressure tester, I tested the watch and established that it was as waterproof as Josh claimed - and then some. No leaks to 132 feet.

post-223-1154120405_thumb.jpg

My real world involves lots of salt water, fish blood, squid guts . . . and lot's more salt water. After a coupole of days of that, a watch I am particularly fond of might get rinsed off with a little beer - or not, as I have higher priorities.

As I mentioned previously, I have been very unkind to this watch, but when I finally do bring it home, I intend to soak it in warm soapy water and wash it off real good, and probably soak the band down with WD-40, and then wash it again.

Sometimes, I forget things.

As most of us do, this was my absolute, positively favorite watch - for a while, and then I fell in love with something else . . . my PVD Pam 028 I think. Anyway, it got relegated to my Rolex box and I forgot about it until someone said, "Wow, what happened to that?"

post-223-1154120222_thumb.jpg

post-223-1154120239_thumb.jpg Watch is on far left here

It seems that when I lost interest, I neglected to clean it up. The picture doesn't do it justice (or perhaps injustice), and I regret not taking some better ones of the mess that this once very nice looking two-tone had become. I was going to throw the band away and replace it with a nice natural sharkskin strap.

I was curious to see if any of that mess would come off, so I put a little metal polish on a rag and it took five minutes - maybe three - the watch looks absolutely as good as new. I really wish I had taken a better picture of the thing before cleaning it up. It was truly retch worthy.

I'd be willing to bed that if you dipped a regular plated TT band in salt water and left it sit for a few months, it would be impossible to bring it back.

Bill

Sorry, but your pics don't really show what you're referring to...

Anyways, glad that your happy with the performance.

If you look at the close up of the box, the bottom watch on the left, you can see that the gold center links look like they have brown stains down the edges and you can see the firdt centerlink below the dial has a brown blotch in the center of the link.

I know they're bad pics - trouble is, I took those some time ago, but they were all I could go back and find that showed it at all. That's a shame, because you'd never believe it without the pics.

Bill