When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Value for money?

TeeJay

As many of you have read, once my finances improve, I have plans to build a V2.0 of my GMT Submariner. Obviously, this involves buying several watches and swapping parts around. In some instances, all I want from a watch is a few parts, so from that point of view, I want to get the most for my money. Now, I have two options...

Option One: Vintage Submariner on a Rolex-buckled NATO-esque strap $108

Option Two: Vintage Submariner (as above) but on a bracelet $118

All I really want from this particular watch is the dial, second hand, and hour hand. The rest will be surplus parts.

Given the discussion about Rolexes on Tropic Rubber straps, I was wondering if it would be better value for money to buy the $108 watch, so I could also use the buckle on an aftermarket Tropic strap, possibly even for a different watch, rather than buying the $118 watch, which would only be providing the dial and hands (although it would mean a spare bracelet should the need arise...)

What do folks think? I'm thinking Option One would be better value for money, I just wanted to hear the thoughts of others :)

I do this frequently with many of my project watches (I have bought a number of reps just to get a single small part), but it is hard to call for someone else. Buying a rep is a great way to get pre-fabricated parts, but very inefficient from a cost standpoint. So I would just choose whichever option you feel gets you the most for your money.

I do this frequently with many of my project watches (I have bought a number of reps just to get a single small part), but it is hard to call for someone else. Buying a rep is a great way to get pre-fabricated parts, but very inefficient from a cost standpoint. So I would just choose whichever option you feel gets you the most for your money.

Thanks for the feedback :)

I have to admit, I think Option One would get me the most, as not only would I get the dial and hands, I would also get the buckle from the strap which could be used separately, where as if I got it on the bracelet, I'd only be gaining a bracelet which I might never need, so be paying more, only to get less... I figure $108 for a specific dial, hands and buckle isn't too bad, I'm sure folks have spent much more on other parts, possibly even just a single part... :)