When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another Ad Story

shimside11

I took my new PAM 120 rep into my local Panerai dealer. I told her I just got it after trying on a gen, just to see if I liked the look and feel. It took a few minutes for her to realize that it was a rep. I tried on a few 40mm (the 51 and the 48). Also tried the 112 and a couple of other 44mm (they are growing on me and now don't seem too big anymore). They actually had about 10 Panerais in stock, which is rare for my area.

Now, a rep is a rep and will never be a gen, but for under 200USD I came out of there feeling very good about my new watch. The colour is very well done, the dial is crisp and compares favourably to the genuine blue dial that the customer next to me was wearing. I really couldn't tell a difference in the feel of the rep 120 and the gen 51. The only real giveaway was the poor date mag. The lume is also very weak but it's not that obvious in the daylight (bad pun, sorry...).

I have no problem at all wearing this one in public.

Oh yeah, BTW, she gave me a new 2006 catalogue which is a fantastic reference. From what I gather here, they are not that easy to come by.

Edited by shimside11

You are right, those catalogues are much sought for items.

And you are right on date mag as well: it is one of the most annoying flaws both because it's so easy to spot on and because it is a defect that affects the very functionality of the watch, not merely an aesthetic one.

Hopely we are heading to see more new correct datewheels and magnifying lenses in the future.

:D nice one ..:)

You guys have better luck than me. I've only worn a rep into an AD once, by accidident (was picking up dinner from the Maggiano's next door decided to pop into the watch store forgetting to take off my 168) and was instantaniously called out by the WIS ninny behinf the counter. I had no choice but to [censored] with him, berating him for having the nerve to sell $500 watches for $6000. Still, it was not pleasant.

My advice: always wear one of your gens to the store. If you don't have a gen, pocket the watch. If you do wear a rep and they say they love your watch, there's a much beter chance they know it's a rep and are not dumb enough to call out a potential customer, than it is you fooled them.

My advice: always wear one of your gens to the store. If you don't have a gen, pocket the watch. If you do wear a rep and they say they love your watch, there's a much beter chance they know it's a rep and are not dumb enough to call out a potential customer, than it is you fooled them.

I totally agree. Never try to pass off a rep as a gen at an AD. That is just inviting ridicule. Wear it there proudly, dressed nicely, with your best manners, and chances are you will have the staff intrigued by the quality while falling over themselves to compare it to the gen. (Great way to compare without having to sneak around). Skippy the WIS isn't going to whine when he knows that you could buy and sell him, and you know ten times more about watches than he does.

One caution, you've got to have the attitude and confidence to pull it off. If you don't look like you could drop 5k on a real one right now they will eat you alive (maybe not to your face, and certainly will not offer to show you others or give you a catalogue) and talk about you behind your back when you leave.

And by all means, have fun with it. It's easy to take this stuff too seriously. :D

I totally agree. Never try to pass off a rep as a gen at an AD. That is just inviting ridicule. Wear it there proudly, dressed nicely, with your best manners, and chances are you will have the staff intrigued by the quality while falling over themselves to compare it to the gen.

Man, I never say a thing about the rep. I only get "nice watch", or "Nice Panerai" type comments. I say "Thanks", and that's it. It's just a watch: not a rep, not a Gen, but just a WATCH. I never volunteer any information. Most shopkeepers wouldn't have the balls to call out a rep around here (Los Angeles).

That being said, I still wouldn't walk into the Beverly Hills Panerai flagship store with my Asian PAM 92 Arktos on! They might confiscate it!