When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a Genuine Sub?

Thor

Is this a real sub? I am pretty sure it is but the bezel's color seems off.

It looks darn good to me.

The bezel's color effect is problably the lighting but the pearl is spot on.

If it's a rep, I'll take three. :biggrin:

Jet

I think its the real deal as well but the laser etched crown in the first picture seems too noticable.

Hmmmmm.

I don't like that dial. Looks very suspect to me.

Ditto. Or wait a minute... Let's make it 30. :laugh:

Suspect how? This watch looks like the real deal to me.

Ubi knows his stuff. I think he's probably referring to the SWISS__MADE and "L" in Rolex. TT Subs come with differences in dial and bezel color. Not the first time I see these inconsistencies...

I agree... the watch is genuine. No rep looks like that, there's NO f'n way...

Im no rollie egspert but isnt the 4 supposed to have a flat section in the top on the bezel not pointy

check the 40 on this gen and check the 40 on the 2 tone.

That was correct for a long time but I believe it's been changed recently.

Ken

I'd say this is a very nice watch. The dial is indeed suspect to me still- And By-Tor hit the nail right on the head. The biggest, glaring flaw is where the 'L' in ROLEX sits under the coronet (which also looks wrong). The 'L' is always centered under the coronet, but in this case, it's too far over to the left. The coronet itself should be slightly wider with the 'o' at the bottom of the crown a bit more oval/flat. Let's move towards the lower half of the dial. the m in 300m should be aligned right on top of the M in CHRONOMETER.

Just like this:

230-8229.jpg

Note the position/placement of the items I've raised as points of interest.

But, that's all I have to say about the dial (and watch in general). Everything else looks good. The bezel is the right size, the insert sits in the bezel just right, CG's, pearl, SELs, lugs all look good.

And, the flat top 4 vs. the pointed top 4 is something that changed in more recent serials.

And with regards to the coronet etching at 6:00- Under certain lighting, the crown can be just barely, faintly visible. It has to be hitting the crystal just right... But yes, they can at times be (barely) seen without a loupe.

100% real with absolutely nothing wrong with any part of this watch at all anywhere.....period :ablow:

Real with no reservation

There's a lot of hardly noticable flaws. But as a rep, it's great. I'd bet a paycheck that it's not genuine. I see too many flaws, specially in the lettering. Look at the coronet (on the dial) Not right. And the lighting is such that you shouldn't be able to see the etched coronet. The bezel font has errors, look at the 2. They always try to get the 4 correct because that's what everyone looks at first. but the 2 is not right. And the color of the bezel font is a yellow, not gold. The L is off. And the lettering in Submariner is not right. I'm voting Rep.

I'm with Ubi on this one. Look at the S in Submariner- it looks terrible, esp. when you look at the real pic that Ubi posted. You go back and forth and compare the writing of Submariner and Ubi's real sub is just so much better than the first one

real indeed

Turboj were did you find those pics ?

Look like a gen but a franken may be.

John

I say it’s real. The CG’s are excellent and do not appear to have undergone any “milling”. The bezel and insert look great as does the depth of the rehaut. The small “inconsistencies” with the dial markings could simply be attributed to the dial coming form a different outsourced manufacturer or just a different lot. Remember, even among genuine Rolex watches of the same model, there are differences like this. Another thing I noticed that convinces me it’s genuine (or at least a great frankenwatch) is the band. From what I can tell, the gold segment of the end link looks like a separate solid piece as it should be. On reps, it isn’t actually a separate piece, but is just some plating over the center part of the SS end link.

I agree, cheese. As I mentioned prior, the dial was the only thing that I felt required some focus on, but that doesn't mean it's not genuine. I still believe that the dial printing alignment of fonts is out of normal spec for Rolex QC (take for instance, I've seen some dials where the 'L' in ROLEX is slightly to the left of the base of the coronet, but not as much as the one pictured), but the sharp, crisp printing is a characteristic that is unmistakenly 100% Rolex.

In the large picture, isn't the line up of the "m" off?

Maybe its a good rep, but shouldnt the L in rolex be alligned perfectly under the crown? it is way off to the left....

im going to buy one of these for my pops, who has the most accurate one. I dont know much abt the sub, but i have seen that the black SS one is usually most often discussed. whats my best bet for the TT thanks

I'd have to see pictures of the links on the back for the number and the midlinks from the side. I just got a rep of this watch and the hands are very nice like the one in this photo, as well as the color of the gold is all the same finish as this one everywhere. I thought the gen had a polished gold bezel but I'm not sure. Problem with this watch is if I waltzed into shreive wearing it, it probably would call out fake. It's tough to get one of this watch that looks right at times. Mine has two problems that could've easily been avoided: wrong bezel & pearl and one of the markers is crooked looks very out of place that way. Once I get the order fixed I'm thinking about testing its water resistance.

It is way too good to be a rep. Except the number 1 in 1000ft. May just not a clear pic.

I believe it is a franken with possibly a gen bezel and a rep face. Don't these things just say "Swiss" on gens? And the m's don't line up. There's plenty dealers on here that sell the face that looks more correct. Oh I just checked mine under black light and whoops, it glows blue like it is suppose to :) First time I"ve ever seen a TT that way, now just if my 12 hour was lined up properly :comp2:

:Jumpy: Its a Grade I Swiss replica from Idealwatches!!! :Jumpy::Jumpy: :band: :lolcina: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :lolcina: :lolcina:

gosh, so where do i get a really good one, two tone with blue face. joshes pics seem odd, but maybe they are more accurate, i dont know. whatcha think

Its gen and the price is fake... I have seen this pic before and the price is toooooooo good to be true.

Real Rolex / Scam Dealer.

Remember that these guys use real photos of real watches, ok maybe the photo is fake, but the watch is real. Then they offer you a killer price and rip you off by sending you nothing or a fake POS.

IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE .... IT IS!