When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Repairing a 292 second hand?

ingirum

Hello

I just bought this 292 "fake ceramic" PVD radiomir from a member of this forum, and it came to me with the major problem of a broken second hand

also, the glass has some dents and a little scratch

you can see here: vp38696lv8.th.jpg

I'd like suggestions.. to know if it is possible and worth repairing

so far I think the options would be

basic: open the watch, eliminate the second hand, and leave it like that - it's working

good: open the watch, repair the second hand

super: open the watch, repair the second hand, put a new sapphire with AR coating

this was a 40 EUR / 50 USD buy.. I know this 292 is not one of the best reps (PVD instead of "fake ceramic") and it has an unconventional cheap asian automatic movement.. I'd like to understand what's worth to do with it.. I like the watch BTW.. and I don't mind it being asian auto, so I could even think about making it beautiful and with a nice strap.. I like PVD pam's a lot!

it is possible to re-attach the seconds hand. Most likely it is not broken and you can just push it back onto its place using a small piece of post-it and a tooth pick. use the search button to find post on how to do that.

Also you need to get the crown stem out of the movement. Again... search button.

With the cheap asian auto it could be a little bit of a diffucult sometimes with the keyless works. I had one once and it took me a very very long time to get it in again. And when i got it out it messed up the keyless work, having to get the dial and hands off first to correct it. Hopefully yours will work better.

changing the the mineral glass to a sapphire does not have to be very easy. It could be that this case is different than the case used for the 6497-2 movements, making the fit of another crystal difficult.

And indeed, another strap makes it look A LOT better. Most leather panerai rep straps are just not good, including the buckle. They look fake.

thank you very much for the suggestions.. I'm glad to know that the seconds hand is easily repairable.. since I am no expert (never opened a watch) and am not very good with tasks that need precision and patience, I think I will use the help of a watchsmith! it will get a nice strap then.. ;-)