When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The "Real Deal" at Ebay - Pam 252

Smab

I am thinking of buying a rep PAM 252. As I was looking on EBAY I found what is probably the real deal. Some way, the watch on the pics just have that "genuine" look, even though I can't explain what the "genuine" look is. Some opinions?

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PANERAI-PAM-252-NORTH-...%3A1%7C294%3A50

At almost 10K USD, I guess it is a collectors item. They have made only 500 pcs of this beauty. One of the reasons I want to get a rep, is the fact that the signature of the two polar expedition members are on the case back, and one of them is a norwegian, as my self. Borge Ousland was the first person to traverse the Antarctica Continent, without support and he is obviously a famous polar expedition man. He was one of the two men participating on the expedition, in which the PAM 252 was dedicated to. The other one, Mike Horn was together with Borge, and they reached the North Pole, unaided, in mid-winter. It means they spent almost 70 days of night, as it is dark at all hours at this time of year up there. And at temperatures down to - 40C/F. The PAM 252 even have a special soft iron inner case, to avoid the strong magnetic field from the earth at extreme lattitudes. An impressive watch, I guess. Is this the "best" rep PAM out there? I guess there is as many opinions as there are persons on this forum, but the rep does look strong in the reviews I have found so far. I am thinking of getting it from one of the trusted dealers on the forum. I have purchased only on rep prior to this. The PAM 252 is ment to be my birthday present, for my self, as I have my 37th birthday next month. My first and only rep so far, is the "ultimate" Breitling Steelfish Superocean with swiss ETA 2836-2, steel bracelet and blue dial. It has double AR and I like it very much, though it has some minor flavs. It keeps time within + 8-10 sec a day, which I believe to be acceptable. The "beast weighs 206 grams (7 ounces) or almost a 1/2 pound. I am sure of this, because I put it on a kitchen digital scale. It was even heavier than I expect. How heavy is the PAM 252 in comparison? I guess it is somewhat lighter, due to the rubber strap? Anyways, have a nice weekend all you rep fanatics out there B)

As for the arktos, the rep of this one is less thick than the gen, gen have a more domed back; but it's almost a very thick watch.

About Mike Horn and Borge Ousland, theire are two famous explarator, but the biggest of the two is Mike, it's the only man who have achieve expeditions like the arctic circle and the equateur line, and always alone.

I am thinking of buying a rep PAM 252. As I was looking on EBAY I found what is probably the real deal. Some way, the watch on the pics just have that "genuine" look, even though I can't explain what the "genuine" look is. Some opinions?

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PANERAI-PAM-252-NORTH-...%3A1%7C294%3A50

At almost 10K USD, I guess it is a collectors item. They have made only 500 pcs of this beauty. One of the reasons I want to get a rep, is the fact that the signature of the two polar expedition members are on the case back, and one of them is a norwegian, as my self. Borge Ousland was the first person to traverse the Antarctica Continent, without support and he is obviously a famous polar expedition man. He was one of the two men participating on the expedition, in which the PAM 252 was dedicated to. The other one, Mike Horn was together with Borge, and they reached the North Pole, unaided, in mid-winter. It means they spent almost 70 days of night, as it is dark at all hours at this time of year up there. And at temperatures down to - 40C/F. The PAM 252 even have a special soft iron inner case, to avoid the strong magnetic field from the earth at extreme lattitudes. An impressive watch, I guess. Is this the "best" rep PAM out there? I guess there is as many opinions as there are persons on this forum, but the rep does look strong in the reviews I have found so far. I am thinking of getting it from one of the trusted dealers on the forum. I have purchased only on rep prior to this. The PAM 252 is ment to be my birthday present, for my self, as I have my 37th birthday next month. My first and only rep so far, is the "ultimate" Breitling Steelfish Superocean with swiss ETA 2836-2, steel bracelet and blue dial. It has double AR and I like it very much, though it has some minor flavs. It keeps time within + 8-10 sec a day, which I believe to be acceptable. The "beast weighs 206 grams (7 ounces) or almost a 1/2 pound. I am sure of this, because I put it on a kitchen digital scale. It was even heavier than I expect. How heavy is the PAM 252 in comparison? I guess it is somewhat lighter, due to the rubber strap? Anyways, have a nice weekend all you rep fanatics out there B)

Edited by Clint Eastwood

You are telling about the Arktos, but the PAM 252 is not the same model as the Arktos. The Arktos (PAM 092) came much earlier than the North Pole GMT, and the two watches was launched as a dedication to two different expeditions. The Arktos was lauched in connection with Mike Horn and his journey around the arctic circle and the North Pole GMT was launched a few years later, in 2006 in connection with the winter expedition to the North Pole, with Mike Horn and Borge Ousland. But I am sure the Arktos is a very nice watch as well.

I was maybe not enough clear.

Theire are 3 watches :

-the arktos 92, celebrate the journey of Mike around article cicrle in two years, G serie 2004, SE of 500.

-the arktos Gmt 186, same as the arktos but with a gmt hands, painted indices, not applied like on the 92, silver hands, and the CG is more thick because Gmt, also 500 units but not a SE.

- the north pole 252, same as the 186, but with blue dial; this one celebrate the polar night expedition of Mike and Borge; if you have never read it, i recommend you the two book by Mike Horn about this two exp, very exceptional.

I have the Arktos, a very big and thick watch, with a weight of 180gr, and bezel markers are in white gold..

Thanks for the details about the models :) I was not aware that there were two Arktos and got confused when I found the 092 and another one, also called Arktos, the 186.. And the book of Mike Horn sounds very interesting also :) Since we up here live close to the Arctic circle, we are in many ways into the polar stuff:-) Would be nice to have a watch (rep) that has some connection to that as well.

The bezel makers on the arctos type reps do come off quite easily. I removed mine (using nail clippers to grip them low down on the sides and gently snapped the adhesive) then reglued them using JB weld. You need to thorough clean everything and remove any old glue (looks like low grade epoxy used).

I also replaced the CG and the crown. Its now one of my most accurate Pam reps.