When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Datejust/1655 question

symbebekos

Having completed my 6265 Daytona, I'm thinking about doing my next favorite, the 1655. I was thinking of buying a 1601 or 1603 Datejust and taking out the 1570 movement to use with a 1655 case - is that advisable? And also, once that was done, is there an aftermarket movement that would fit in the Datejust so I could get two working watches out of the deal? Has anyone done this?

As Dluddy has said...be careful what you plan on doing if you want to obtain a gen 1570 movement. For clarification (or confusion) on issues of the caliber stampings on the 1570 vs 1575 movements that you might be having a little confusion with...read this thread:

The Zigmeister's Restoration Thread on a Gen 1655

As a side for a similar idea of movement conversion (not accurate for a 1655 but interesting reading regardless) read Freddy's thread here:

Freddy's Conversion of a Rolex 1030 to a 1035 GMT for a 6542

You need patience, symbebekos. To find a true 1575 GMT movement is not easy. Rolex never stamped 1575 on the movement. All 1575 GMT have the 1570 stamping. So you need to make sure the seller really knows what he is selling if he claims 1570 movement as used in the 1655.

You need patience, symbebekos. To find a true 1575 GMT movement is not easy. Rolex never stamped 1575 on the movement. All 1575 GMT have the 1570 stamping. So you need to make sure the seller really knows what he is selling if he claims 1570 movement as used in the 1655.

That's very helpful...I guess the only way to be sure of getting a 1575 is to take it out of a vintage GMT-Master? I hate the idea of doing that - putting aside the cost of a 1675, it's almost sacrilege to mess with such a great watch.