When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help on a Rolex ExpII

Prsist

I gather from my studies there are problem whether you get a CHS or IHS, Asian or ETA. It's all a crap shot. Are all Asian movements louder than their ETA counter-parts? I have a SD with an Asian movt that is a bit noisy. I don't care about the little details, I just want a watch that looks like what I am buying and that will last. If I can't find a local watchman to service my watch then I can live with an Asian movt that costs $150 and lasts for a couples years. I assume an ETA movt is easier to service and If I can find a watchsmith to work on it then the additional cost might be worth it. Since the ETA movts that are used have an Asian module added, is it worth buying the ETA for quality reaasons?

I assume that by Asian, you mean the ETA clone? Or are you talking about a common asian 21J movement. These are not worth servicing, as they're so cheap. However I'm not sure that these movement will be able to be modified to take the GMT hand by watchmakers locally.

Therefore, in the case for the ExpII, I would go for a ETA movement. A watchmaker should have no problem servicing these with the GMT modification.

Remember that with the Exp II you are talking a specialized modded movement that has the GMT module added which is different than the basic cheap Asian movements or un-modded 2836. That being said, these movements are harder to have serviced regardless of being Asian or ETA because of what they have done to add the 24hr gear to the drivetrain, and the assembly of the post to the GMT hand.

The Asian will be a [censored], and the ETA modded 2836 (gen ETA or Asian copy of ETA) is difficult to service as you will find if you search for posts by The Zigmeisterzumba on these movements.

If you search for posts by By-Tor on the ETA GMT modded movements you'll find he has had great success with the IHS ETA. The CHS ETAs are considered timebombs.

Normally in my responses I provide the links and do the searching for the users...but this time, I don't feel like it :(...so good luck with the search.