When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Opinions on Franken 3717 (Gen dial, hands and glass)

mwee

Please IWC experts,

Need advice or opinion on this. I have the opportunity to get a brand new set of 3717 dial, hands and crystal. will all these fit a rep 3717?

Dial is no problem. Hands will fit the "old" slow beat movement or a swiss eta 7750. The crystal I have no idea.

If I were you, I'll take the dial and hands and send your rep crystal to Chief. It will look better than the gen one :D

Dial is no problem. Hands will fit the "old" slow beat movement or a swiss eta 7750. The crystal I have no idea.

If I were you, I'll take the dial and hands and send your rep crystal to Chief. It will look better than the gen one :D

Thanks1 As I do intend to get a Swiss 7750 for this, then I am alright. The problem is its a set deal, I have to take the crystal as well. well, time for another risk I suppose! :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK.

So my gen parts have arrived. The dial, hands and crystal. Now there is also a gen IWC 3717 movement on sale here with gen IWC Day/Date wheel. Should I get it as well to make the ultimate franken or just get the normal Swiss 7750 and ETA Day Date wheel which is of course cheaper. Please, some advise on this would really be appreciated. I would really like to go all the way. I know, I know, a used gen would probably cost not much more but then where's the fun right?

So please advice? Thanks! Really excited by this!

P1010118.jpg

P1010119.jpg

P1010120.jpg

P1010122.jpg

I may also be able to get the gen crown as well :)

I personally would not care to get the gen movement as it is just a tarted up and adjusted 7750. You will never see it anyway, but that is just me.

I do agree with you. Is the gen and ETA DW font very similar?

You never cease to amaze me with your GEN parts sources.... Amazing. Waiting patiently for the end result bro....

Cheers

Siesta181

Bro, I am also "amazed" when I see my cc bills every month!

The ETA datewheel and IWC datewheel are one and the same, so yes they are similar. 100 percent similar! IWC does not use specialized datewheels in the 3717.

if that's the case, then this is an easy decision! Thanks!

The ETA datewheel and IWC datewheel are one and the same, so yes they are similar. 100 percent similar! IWC does not use specialized datewheels in the 3717.

not accurate.

the font per se is the same, but the thickness of writing is slightly more on the gen. I work at a IWC AD in London, I checked and compared my one :p

not accurate.

the font per se is the same, but the thickness of writing is slightly more on the gen. I work at a IWC AD in London, I checked and compared my one :p

Would you be able to show some comparison pics?Would really be grateful. BTW, since you work at an AD, any chance of a good price for IWC watches at staff price? :)

Would you be able to show some comparison pics?Would really be grateful. BTW, since you work at an AD, any chance of a good price for IWC watches at staff price? :)

I have never heard this from anyone posting on here, are you sure you are not comparing the rep datewheels to the genuine ones? I would also like some photos.

i will be eligible for most watches (all IWC except L.E) at cost price in a months time when my probation period is over. :)

i think i know what i'll get.

i'll find some pics .. wait

i will be eligible for most watches (all IWC except L.E) at cost price in a months time when my probation period is over. :)

i think i know what i'll get.

i'll find some pics .. wait

wow,

bro. How many can you buy? Any chance of me sending you a pm. I am serious.

Ok the following two pics are gens:

IWC3717.jpg

3717_04.jpg

And here an ETA DW pic with a rep:

DSC00257.jpg

Pics aren't perfect but if you look closely you will notice a slight difference in size.

Hope it helps. So in that case if you could get gen IWC DW's, go for it, if not, don't worry the difference is not severe, only when i was comparing the both, you will notice in some cases.

wow,

bro. How many can you buy? Any chance of me sending you a pm. I am serious.

One at cost each year, and upto 20% for the rest at any other given time. Unless you wait for the following year and I guess I could give up a cost price given that i would have spent most my money for this one! :p

BTW i am thinking of the Spitfire Chrono to compliment my rep 3717 Pilots

Either way, I guess i'll mention that I work at Fraser Hart, Brent Cross London

One at cost each year, and upto 20% for the rest at any other given time. Unless you wait for the following year and I guess I could give up a cost price given that i would have spent most my money for this one! :p

BTW i am thinking of the Spitfire Chrono to compliment my rep 3717 Pilots

Either way, I guess i'll mention that I work at Fraser Hart, Brent Cross London

Just a suggestion. Why not get a nice 5001! That is one of my favourite IWC. I am trying hard to save moner for the anthracite dial! The way things are going, it will probably be a while! :)

Can you do me a big favor. the second pic of the gen Dw is really good. Any chance you can take a pic of yours with the ETA DW with the same Date? Really want to know how much is the difference and if it is worth the extra $300 or so!

Thanks!

yeah that was a thought. thing is, as much as i love the 5001, it just does not look right on my wrist. the size is fine, but i don't know what it is. the only other 2 considerations are vin. ingy or the 3714 black dial and subdials. the spitfire just instantly click with me though. honestly, ill just wait and keep trying them on.

ok i couldn't get the angle as perfect as the second pic of gen, but this is the best shot i got:

DSC00326.jpg

gen:

3717_04.jpg

btw, if the gen IWC datewheels cost that much, hmm i don't know whether it would be worth it then.

yeah that was a thought. thing is, as much as i love the 5001, it just does not look right on my wrist. the size is fine, but i don't know what it is. the only other 2 considerations are vin. ingy or the 3714 black dial and subdials. the spitfire just instantly click with me though. honestly, ill just wait and keep trying them on.

ok i couldn't get the angle as perfect as the second pic of gen, but this is the best shot i got:

DSC00326.jpg

gen:

3717_04.jpg

btw, if the gen IWC datewheels cost that much, hmm i don't know whether it would be worth it then.

Thanks. the difference is that the Swiss 7750 is about $450 and a gen IWC movement is about $750 with the gen DWs.

I will wait for the news on the crown and if I can get that, will go with the gen movement!

Again, many thanks for your help! Whichever you get, I am sure it will be a nice watch as most IWCs are great! Just remember to post pics!