When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Brand New New Sea-Dweller Not Working

ThinkBachs

I had my old rep Sub stolen about a year and a half ago and after spending a fair amount of time here I finally took the plunge and replaced it with a new DSSD that another member here had for sale. The watch came in today and looked better than the photo and weighs a ton! I put it on after giving it a few twists to get it started and it ran fine. My wife was thoroughly convinced that it was authentic.

After wearing it actively for three hours, I compared it to the time I had set it at on my computer when I noticed it stopped running. I gave it a few more twists and it started again. After that, it kept stopping and will not stay running. Looking at the hands, it's not stopping at the same location and they all seem to be properly installed. Nothing I do will keep it running. My old Sub was worn every day and took a beating- and worked like a charm. The watch was well packed and hasn't been bumped or harmed in any way. When it stops, I thought maybe it could be a loose second hand, but there's no movement whatsoever inside when stopped.

Obligatory photo...

Rolex-SD.jpg

The person I purchased it from has been very helpful in working with me to see what can be done. He said it came from Peter at WatchStation, and is communicating with him for a possible return (though I prefer exchange). In the meantime, I thought it might be worth posting this here in case someone had some feedback or insight about how to deal with this problem. I believe this is an ETA movement.

I just put it on again and it's running without stopping so far in the last 15 minutes. I did try hand winding earlier but that didn't make any difference. Right now, I'm sending it good thoughts and telling it that it's OK, I still love it. So far so good. Maybe the gears just needed to settle into place... In the meantime, I'll look around for a watch guy. I've kinda gown attached to the little guy and am starting to feel guilty about sending him away. Is this wrong for me to feel this way? I mean, we just met and all... :)

Spoke too soon. 17 minutes... stopped again. :(

If you have not already done so, manually wind it (slowly) 40 turns. Then set the watch down on a table & leave it there, untouched, for 35-40 hours. If the watch continues to run, then you just needed to fully charge (wind) the mainspring. If it stops again, you will need to make peace with your little friend & ship him off to a knowledgeable watchsmith.

First, let me say thanks to you guys for being patient with me and offering your feedback. Just like anything else I've gotten into, I'll get better at this as time goes by, but for now, I'm still struggling with that learning curve.

I'm not familiar with the watches that Peter at the Watchstation. The sad thing is that the pic I saw of the watch was from puretimewatch.com, so I assumed it was one of those. Here's the link to what I know about the watch: http://www.rwg.cc/members/Rolex-DeepSea-Se...ler-t88124.html

******ROLEX DEEPSEA SEADWELLER******

movement: asian-2836-2 / swiss eta-2836

crystal: Dome sapphire crystal

size: 43mm x 17.5mm

water resistance: < 50M

remark: blue lume on hr markers and hands set / ceramic bezel / 1:1 copied as gen

price: US$258 without shipment (add US$70 for swiss eta-2836 movt)

paypal payment accepted

Peter E-Mail: iwatchstation@gmail.com

Watchstation album: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/watchstation/

******ROLEX DEEPSEA SEADWELLER******

full photos:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/watc...A%20SEADWELLER/

I think it's safe to assume that the movement is Asian. With that said...

-is it worth trying to return it and paying a little more for the Swiss ETA (although from what I've been reading here many of those are reps anyway)

-consider another movement to replace the current?

-just replace the one that's in there with another Asian?

I've read threads about replacements but only paid enough attention to be mildly educated. Now that I have a reason to pay attention, I'll have to go back through and do some research. If you have any thoughts about a worthwhile movement to invest in, please chime in- especially if you have a source you'd like to share and a place to get the proper tool to use (I'm trying to stay away from pipe wrenches unless I absolutely have to). I'm not afraid to start working on this myself, as long as I have something to go by (which there are more than enough examples here to follow).

Thanks also to freddy333, I wound the watch (which made me nervous because I didn't want to over-wind it) and it's been running for about 30 minutes so far without a problem. Still would like to look into replacement movements so on to searching I go...

Edit: OK, so I put the watch on and it stopped again. Start it and let it sit, it keeps running. This link was very helpful > http://www.rwg.cc/members/know-shouldn-t-do-t77687.html

Needs to be replaced or fixed me thinks... :(

Ref: http://www.rwg.cc/members/To-simple-and-ea...;hl=sea+dweller