When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another Crazy Idea For Anal-retentives

So I have one of the sweet 222's on the way from EL, upon which I will stick a Tommy crown, a watchmen cyclops, and a davidsen AR sapphire. I also know that he date hole is going to bug the [censored] out of me.

I also have one of the 1st gen 104's, a sort of a mediocre rep I never put on, which also uses the chinese 21J. So...can I set the date on the 222, swap the case w/ the 104, and keep the newly holeless bad boy on a winder? If I ever need to change the date again, how hard would it be to crack the back and set the date w/ a little screwdriver or a high-tech bent paper clip or something? Would I have to remove the movement to do this?

Yes, I know I should just buy a gen, or live with it, or see a shrink, get a life, etc. But aside from the troubling psychology of this intended project, is it technically feasable?

Indeed, the 222 is a sweet looking watch - you'll be pleased. I agree, the Palp 2.1mm crown will look fantastic.

Why not set the date by just adjusting the time. The date will flip every time you pass midnight while setting the time - just keep turning til you get to the right date. It's a lot of turns, and to some may be a pain in the ass, but once it's set keep it on a winder.

Indeed, the 222 is a sweet looking watch - you'll be pleased. I agree, the Palp 2.1mm crown will look fantastic.

Why not set the date by just adjusting the time. The date will flip every time you pass midnight while setting the time - just keep turning til you get to the right date. It's a lot of turns, and to some may be a pain in the ass, but once it's set keep it on a winder.

Cool. I thought the PR fuction somehow prevented the date being set w/ the crown at all--shows you how much I know about the inside of watches. Thanls for the tip! I'll post pics when I swap and rebrush the cases.

My EL has a very slight purplish tint from an angle... don't know if it's AR or not.

Additionally, let me know what stem size crown works ... (and the address of your watchmaker who does it! :))

The cyclops is currently very satisfactory, apparently there is a second cyclops embedded in the date window on the dial, I don't know if the addition of the good cyclops might not be overkill in this instance!

I have considered swapping the case as well. What's interesting is that ELs version has a very tall bezel, taller than the other 44mm cases i've seen on any model...

Edited by Jonathan