When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Clark's crystal install on WM9 question

mjmurphy926

I just received a Clark's crystal for my WM9 v1 sub. I'm in the process of installing it but noticed that the gasket on the Clark's is thicker (bigger circumference) than the WM9 stock gasket making the retaining ring a tighter fit.

I was able to press the retaining ring on the stock WM9 crystal/gasket by hand, but no way the Clark's will go on that way.

Can I just use a press to install it or do I have to mod something?

Thanks,

Mike

If you press the retaining ring over the crystal, you will break it.

You have to grind down the inner circumfrance of the retaining ring, until the ring fits down aprox 1/2 way down the side of the crystal. This will leave just enough tension to secure it, but not too much that it will crack the crystal.

If I were to guess, right now you can just barely fit the retaining ring on the crystal...

RG

You have to grind down the inner circumfrance of the retaining ring, until the ring fits down aprox 1/2 way down the side of the crystal. This will leave just enough tension to secure it, but not too much that it will crack the crystal.

If I were to guess, right now you can just barely fit the retaining ring on the crystal...

RG

@Mike, sorry for the bad advice.

@The Zigmeister, is the ID of the WM9 smaller than a genuine retainer? I was assuming that they were 1:1 as advertised. I commented based on installing genuine bezels on genuine cases with aftermarket crystal and gasket. Working with replica parts really is a crapshoot isn't it, even if they are supposed to be constructed to genuine dimensions.

RG

You guess right R...Maybe I can send this along with my appointment in May (UPO) to have you do it?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Mike