When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hublot - Big Bang Black Magic with Carbon fiber Dial

ThinkBachs

Specs:

Hublot - Big Bang Black Magic with Carbon fiber Dial

Bezel: Real Ceramic bezel

Case:Black PVD coated steel

Movement: New Asia Valjoux 7750 (28,800bph) High Beat with engraved rotor

CASE DIAMETER: 44.5mm

THICKNESS: 16mm

Front Glass: Sapphire Crystal with DOUBLE AR

My new Hublot came home this morning. As I opened the box, it looked like any other watch, packed in bubble wrap and laid out in a long plastic zip lock baggy. I was glad to finally see it but was more apprehensive than excited having been disappointed in the past by watches that didn't meet my expectations. Even before I puled it out of the baggy, my heart sank a little. It felt much lighter than I expected which made it seem cheap even before I saw it. Pulling it out of the wrapper, I could see that it was not...

My camera really sucks at most close-up photos so I'll start with one that was posted by the seller I purchased it from.

8.jpg

The double AR is amazing, and really brings out the detail of the CF dial and everything on it. Those that have watches with this treatment will understand, those that don't- well...

Now a side shot using a neat trick I discovered recently using a lupe to help my pathetic P&S camera...

3.jpg

Wow. The one thing that I worried about was that the watch looked better in the photo than in person. No problem so far, it looks great. Fortunately my mail man must have sensed that there was an automatic watch in the box as it was running as soon as it came out of the box. The textured rubber strap is by far the version that I prefer, with a smooth rubber strap being the alternative. The clasp was a interesting to figure out, but this didn't take too long. Putting it on using the factory holes, it needed to go one hole larger to be a perfect fit. Using a 5/64th" drill bit, I marked the location by pressing the strap end on the clasp and made my adjustment. I tired using just my fingers at first. One thing I've learned over the years is to take baby steps, start slow and work your way up. I could barely make a mark in the rubber with the new bit. Good sign, this is very good rubber! On to the DeWalt. I had to press against a board and press hard. Once through, I cleaned up the hole by running the bit back and forth through the hole. to my surprise, the hole did not get bigger. Excellent rubber!

15.jpg

The 5/16th" bit is perfect, and the hole is just enough to go over the post while maintaining a nice firm grip...

16.jpg

Once on the wrist, the watch over came my next biggest fear, that it might actually be too big. For me, it's perfect. The thing that threw me off was the difference in weight between this and a DSSD, which feels like a tank compared to this. I love a heavy watch, it makes me feel more masculine I suppose, but the size and look of this watch certainly take care of that. You know it's there, but you don't feel like you're going to have to change wrists to keep your muscles even.

Taking it back off, it's time to give it a good winding and set the watch. This is by far the smoothest automatic I have ever experienced! There's no need to pull the crown out, it winds smoothly with a solidly built feel. Adjusting the date and hands feel just as nice and the date lines up perfectly. Playing with the chronos always makes me nervous. With mechanical watches there always seems to be that sense that you're going to break something, but not with this watch. The top pusher feels solid and firm and the bottom is smooth and gentle, with the chronos lining up as they should back to 0.

Sellers better photo...

8.jpg

Looking at the detail on the rubber strap, there's no lack of quality in the detail there either...

5.jpg

4.jpg

As long as we've moved on the back of the watch, the detail of the engraved lettering is top notch.

11.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

No, it doesn't say HUBLO on the back, though I had to double check after seeing this image!

The one thing that I might mention about the smoothness of the second hand is that at very close observation is it doesn't seem perfectly smooth all the way around, though looking at it from a distance of 1 to 1 1/2' it's barely noticeable if you're really looking for something and unnoticeable if you're not. Could be the eye playing tricks on me but you decide...

Great work ThinkBachs! If I have a favorite of the HBB lineup it's definitely this.

How many watches you have purchased man? I've lost count already... you seem to be on a roll. :tu:

wristshot please

Stupid me...

14.jpg

Absolutely stunning and great review with pics and video. Mine is arriving in a few days from Angus and it's good to know that it's not likely that I will have buyer's remorse as I sold a few reps to fund this purchase and it's the most expensive rep I've bought to date. Is this the 28.8k bph movement?

I have to say it is only based on what I've seen before, though it really sucks to get distracted at 19,569 beats when counting them and have to start over. Fortunately, it only takes a little over a minute to start over- plenty of time to get an eye massage in and get ready for the challenge.

Very nice mate....and well done with the camera+loupe trick.

Where did you get the 28.8K movement HBB with engraved rotor. Mostly the 21.6K versions have this.

Cheers

I got it from here I've seen an other that someone said cost them over $1000, which I haven't found yet and couldn't imagine spending. I spent a lot of time comparing and couldn't pass up this deal. Looking at "gen" bezels, I don't see any difference or justification in spending extra money on one except the emotional aspect of having one.

Great work ThinkBachs! If I have a favorite of the HBB lineup it's definitely this.

How many watches you have purchased man? I've lost count already... you seem to be on a roll. :tu:

Doing this was nerve racking knowing that I had a tough standard to attempt to live up to. It's an OK first attempt, but I'll keep working on it to make it better... :notworthy:

Guest ThePhilosopher
Since you'll wear this everyday, there's no need to wait for a winder...

1. It's an automatic that runs as long as you wear it

2. As long as you wear it, you won't be using your other watches

:p

It'll be to hold all my other watches. B)

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased an ultimate full ceramic HBB Black Magic from Angus a few weeks back. It keeps exceptional time, and the chrono is perfect as well. I wasn't thrilled with Angus' communication or customer service, but I'd have to say, based on product alone, I'd buy again.

The only difference in appearance is (a) no checkerboard face and (B) the date is white on black. I think both variations are available as a gen.

Very happy with the watch, and it does get noticed.