When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My little Fiddy.....

scotty

Some time ago in my early days on rep collecting, I bought an 'ultimate' Fiddy from trusty.

I was pleased at first, only to find it had the E0581 wrong case.

And later - as if it knew what I was thinking, it decided to self destruct and explode the crystal....

Last year I managed to pick up a new Fiddy from a great member, Cosmo. An old River model with the square bridges movement.

No cannon pin fix, and no lume. But a very nice case.

So - the 2 Fiddys went to VAC for a movement swap into the E0117 case, superlume treatment, and the cannon pin fix.

The bits I got back have been sold off or gifted - hows the Fiddy project now Babola?

After my prized baby had come back, I noticed the hands were not quite parallel with the dial. Something that is sometimes missed, I was informed.

So the other month I dropped it into my local watchsmith to see if he could better position them, and at the same time better seat the bezel.

Got it back yesterday.......crap shots from a Nokia 5800, at the desk. I'm particularly proud of the terrible lume shot, taken in the loo with the lights off after minimal exposure to the overhead fluorescents. This thing is a real torch normally, and lasts all night long. Fabulous work there VAC..... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hands maybe could still be improved, but I'm not risking it again unless I change them, and I'm not sure it's worth it.

Strap is a Europelli Cordovan - not the most expensive, but I like it very much for it's vesatility. Can be worn formal and informal.

So.....some pics..............

post-3909-1237367000_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1237367024_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1237367042_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1237367064_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1237366971_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1237367087_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1237367102_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1237367122_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1237367141_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1237367158_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1237367187_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1237367206_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1237367222_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1237367236_thumb.jpg

post-3909-1237367250_thumb.jpg

8)

Nice Fiddy Scotty. Im waiting on a Pam Destro. Im looking to find a strap for it atm. I realy like the look of your watch with that strap. Im thinking something like that would be perfect. I was looking at some black deep grain straps at Strap culture. Now Im not so sure. Thanks for the pics :) Mike

Thanks.

Yep the strap really is a nice one, and developing a nice patina. The crappy pics don't really show the colour in full glory.

If I remember it's the oxblood cordovan, though I may be mistaken as there are 2 cordovans very close in colour.

Beige thread.

Drew in Europeli was having a sale recently - maybe still is.

The leather is very nice and wearing well. Recommended......and when new smelt wonderful. Still has traces...

Thanks.

Yep the strap really is a nice one, and developing a nice patina. The crappy pics don't really show the colour in full glory.

If I remember it's the oxblood cordovan, though I may be mistaken as there are 2 cordovans very close in colour.

Beige thread.

Drew in Europeli was having a sale recently - maybe still is.

The leather is very nice and wearing well. Recommended......and when new smelt wonderful. Still has traces...

Thanks Scotty for the information. I will look and see if I can find something like yours at a decent price. Drew in Euoropeli :thumbs: Mike

what do you mean by the crystal exploding?? im new here and tried the search button, didnt get any real answer. i am hoping you can answer my question... thank you

Hi - exploding Fiddy crystal was something linked to certain Fiddy's from Trusty and Josh for a while.

Mostly related to the combination of saphire crystal and E0581 case, though there were 'explosions' in the E0117 case.

If I remember right, basically it was because the crystal was very thin and stressed.

The tensions in the fitting with the case meant that, at some point in time through expansion due to ambient conditions, they'd explode.

I think they improved their crystal since.

No problems with DSN / EL / River crystals, or others (PWC etc).