When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Water Resistance Test - Deep Sea V3!

hiker01

I was browsing over @RWI and came across this posting from mucrewbtp: http://replica-watch.info/phpBB3/viewtopic...=59&t=40510

and I thought, uhmmmmmmm, maybe I could do this? Well, I tried and here's how it went:

I won't elaborate too much as it is already covered by mucrewbtp.....but the basics:

- build the pressure tester out of a Nalgene Water bottle and a Tire Valve stem.

- have a tire air pump (I used a car battery operated version).

- fill the pressure tester with 400 CC of water.

- pump it with 85psi of pressure.

Verbatim instructions:

"6.) Pump up the canister while listening for leaks. As the pressure increases the lid will become slightly domed. As this slightly changes the shape of the sealing surface, it is necessary to tweak the lid tighter a few times while increasing the pressure. A very minor tightening will quickly re-seal the lid. I pressurized this test to 85 PSI, which is about 5.8 ATM."

The air pump and my own version of the Pressure Tester:

toold.jpg

pressuretester.jpg

The DeepSea strapped/taped inside:

dssdndatank1.jpg

The pressure pump to 75psi.....and going.....

pp76psi.jpg

Pump @76psi and Tester, DeepSea now covered with water and pressure being slowly released:

pp76psi1.jpg

The results:

DeepSea out of the box:

dssd3.jpg

After the pressure got down to about 30psi, bubbles started coming out from the back, I assumed that this was probably due

to ungreased o-ring (I made sure everything was tight before I did the test!), So I stopped and let the tester back to standing

position (water away from the watch!).

I proceded to open the watch to check and found some moisture between the external or outside caseback and the titanium/middle caseback

although there was no further penetration! The o-ring was dry......

Minor mods:

- Greased case back o-ring, tube o-ring and crown! And since I have the bracelet off, I oiled it with All-in-1!

BTW: Can anyone confirm that this is a real Swiss ETA?

dssdopen1a.jpg

dssdopen.jpg

Different angle:

dssdopen1.jpg

and another strange thing (see if you notice something different on this picture?):

orlex.jpg

Is this suppose to be printed like this?

AnyHo! I Assembled the watch and repeated the process all over and this time, it passed! I really am not sure how deep can this go, but if I follow

the theory of mucrewbtp, thats about 160-180ft! Sounds good enough for me! I don't go that deep anyway!

Thanks for reading and I hope someone could chime in about the movement and that strange printing on the lug @12 side!

Cheers, Hike!

So this is safe to wear in the shower? :) I have one of these and I absolutely love it. I just ordered a case back opener and putting the grease on the O-Ring will be the first thing I do. I'll also look into what a common man like myself can do oil the mechanism before I close the back. What did you use to grease the O-Ring?

So this is safe to wear in the shower? :) I have one of these and I absolutely love it. I just ordered a case back opener and putting the grease on the O-Ring will be the first thing I do. I'll also look into what a common man like myself can do oil the mechanism before I close the back. What did you use to grease the O-Ring?

Go to Offrei and get the Speed Lubricator: DC #7 Silicone Grease, Part# 2.5-747

Hmmm, they spelled ROLEX wrong.

You gotta love the Chinese! Ten steps forward, and one big step backwards!

Ain't that amazing! I wonder if all Deepsea are like this??????? I could just picture everyone, checking there's out! Olala!

BTW: When are you coming to Chicago? PM me when you get here and have the time, I'll buy you your first Chicago Mexican

Food!

Cheers!

orlex.jpg

This is a V3? The He valve looks thicker in this photo than mine...

V3.jpg

for comparison...

Gen-He.jpg

I was under the impression that there was only one version of a V3, and if so, why are these different? Is mine something else? Now that I look at mine compared to the gen, I'd like to replace the pearl with a gen version. Pm sent to Tribal for more info... :)

Wow, that was neat! So with a Nalgene Water bottle and a car tyre pump, you can make your own pressure gauge? Wont the bottle burst or the cap burst out or something? I dont use Nalgene Water bottle...

lol, Wont it be better if you use a clear bottle?

Very nice work friend.

Guest carlsbadrolex

GREAT, they spelled ROLEX correctly on this one. BUT THEN managed to engrave the wrong reference number. The correct reference number is 116660.

The funny thing is that as soon as I saw the photo, I had to check myself... then I read your comment "I could just picture everyone, checking there's out! Olala!" :)

Here's mine...

Not-ORLEX.jpg

Whew! Now I know mine's a g3n! :p

orlex.jpg

This is a V3? The He valve looks thicker in this photo than mine...

V3.jpg

for comparison...

Gen-He.jpg

I was under the impression that there was only one version of a V3, and if so, why are these different? Is mine something else? Now that I look at mine compared to the gen, I'd like to replace the pearl with a gen version. Pm sent to Tribal for more info... :)

Strange.......those Chinese REPREICATS! :rolleyes:

Wow, that was neat! So with a Nalgene Water bottle and a car tyre pump, you can make your own pressure gauge? Wont the bottle burst or the cap burst out or something? I dont use Nalgene Water bottle...

lol, Wont it be better if you use a clear bottle?

Very nice work friend.

I know, I know, Iknow.......but I have an old one that I don't use anymore! :D

GREAT, they spelled ROLEX correctly on this one. BUT THEN managed to engrave the wrong reference number. The correct reference number is 116660.

And he thinks he's got a GEN, ha.....got ya.......REPRECATS AT THEIR BEST! :D

...c'mon guys.... you're looking at the evolution of POLEX :D

:band1:

As long as we're talking about greasing things up, does it make sense to put a drop of machine oil on the edge of the rotating bezel, in a way that it would seep under? Just curious, could be a dumb question, or it could be one of those questions that most don't thing about asking....

As long as we're talking about greasing things up, does it make sense to put a drop of machine oil on the edge of the rotating bezel, in a way that it would seep under? Just curious, could be a dumb question, or it could be one of those questions that most don't thing about asking....

I do on all my watches with rotating bezels......I use All-in-1 oil! I put 2 drops in each lug side and rotate it until you fell it getting smooth, then let soak for 30 mins or so.....

Or you could deep fry in Chinese Sesame Seed Oil!..... :bleh::boxing:

Wont the bottle burst or the cap burst out or something?

That's why it's important to use a gen bottle. DO NOT use a cheapie and have some respect for the possibility of it blowing up especialy the first time. Be warned, if these jiggers do blow they fragment into nasty sharp pieces due to the type of plastic used. It's very tough but also very hard so shatters not splits.

Col.

That's why it's important to use a gen bottle. DO NOT use a cheapie and have some respect for the possibility of it blowing up especialy the first time. Be warned, if these jiggers do blow they fragment into nasty sharp pieces due to the type of plastic used. It's very tough but also very hard so shatters not splits.

Col.

I was also worried about it, so I tested it first empty and slowly pump it until it reached about 90psi! I held it there for about 5 mins and when nothing happened then I know I was good! One thing though, as the pressure goes up, air will start to come out at he cap, so you have to tighten as you go! I also wrap a few rounds of white water pipe tape (the one you use to join two water pipes at home) on the threaded mouth of the water bottle and that help seal it, but you still have to tighten as the pressure increase!

BTW: after the test, it would be very, very tight (and I think only Lani can open it at this point! :D ), so you have to pump the pressure up again until you feel the air coming out, then you very slowly start to untighten the top cover, when it's loose enough, then you turn off the pump!

Very nicely done. Love your ORLEX :p

Wonder what my V3 says

XELOR!!! ;)

The bubbles from the case back could also be caused by the air trapped between the SS and Titanium part. This consruction leaves space for air which will escape when the air equalizes. I'm 99% sure this is where the bubbles came from and you watch is perfectly WP ;)

PS: Are you missing some movement holder scews?

I use this:

05074.jpg

It goes on wet, but dries in seconds leaving a silicon film. It doesn't attract dirt like oil does and won't stain your cloths if stray amounts end up on fabric.

Just spray it where the bezel meets the case in a few places around the watch, quickly work the bezel around a time or two, and wipe it clean.

The bubbles from the case back could also be caused by the air trapped between the SS and Titanium part. This consruction leaves space for air which will escape when the air equalizes. I'm 99% sure this is where the bubbles came from and you watch is perfectly WP ;)

PS: Are you missing some movement holder scews?

Thanks! Nope, it came that way! I guess its too much for the China Man to install 2 more screws! :D

Guest carlsbadrolex

So if anyone wants to sell me one of these defective and mis engraved hunks of steel cheap let me know!?!?!?

I would be more than happy to have my jeweler wipe the surface clean and re-engrave the correct information on it!