When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

hand made pens for sale -

fotoman

well, i have the blessing to sell a handful of pens that i'm going to be making. As many of you saw, i have taken to a new hobby, its alot of fun, and a good way to quell the stress, not to mention i get to enjoy the outcomes. I give them as gifts and i need to sell a few to :) i have to make back some of my investments, if you haven't caught on yet, i just went bankrupt so, gotta pay for the habit.

i wanted to share a few things about my current thoughts.

1. i'm' not really planning on taking 'orders" I'm pick up woods and pen packs as i see stuff thats interesting. I have some "designs" that i have come up with that are really freaking cool :) or at least i think so. I also have a group that i have worked the kinks out of.

2. i am not sure of the price point, but it will be a combination of materials cost, complication of the build, and time involved, plus PP fees and shipping. In general it takes 1-2 hrs of work to create a pen, i'm working these to work very well. The pieces themselves are awesome. The wood is very solid, i have the proper equipment about 1k worth to do the job right. I use upgraded inks- i prefer and find most others prefer Gel ink - its a rollar ball trying to write like a fountain pen, i'm using parker gel ink inserts. i suppose if someone really wants black or blue thats easy to change. If i have both available.

3. the reaction from people i have gotten so far has been, WOW how did you "make" this. :)

4. I'm excited to share my hobby with others, i want people to appreciate the pieces, use them, and make you happy. I would take great pleasure in knowing something i created is enjoyed by others.

5. I will do some acrylic work, however, acrylics are harder to work with and dull the tools easier so, although it seems like the plastic pen should be cheaper, it will be slightly more. I only have 1 acrylic design in mind. unless your wive's want Purple or Pink pens, the women here have flipped out on the purple and pink acrylics.

6. I will do he pens when i get a chance.. I have a huge workload and a family, sometimes i get sometime to do it, sometimes i can't sleep and will knock one out at 3 in the morning like i did last night

7. i'm going to see if i can get a really nice 2 tone indian rosewood cigar pen done tomorrow, not sure if i have the tubes :)

we'll see how it goes. Some pieces will be thinner at the part where you hold it, the size of a blue bic regular pen, some thicker, i personally like the thicker ones, but if there is feedback for the thinner ones, i have those too. the women, my mom, mother in law, some in the office seem to gravitate to them.

8. I'm excited - couple of bucks to finance this hobby, and i have been missing a really great creative outlet for some time. I grew up making music that others enjoyed, this is a little piece of that.

9. Finally, the wood pens, will be polished, so they will have a new polish look, but with any wood object over time it will loose some of the glossyness, but thats what gives it, its character or patina right :)

well, thanks for listening, i hope there are some of us out there that still have some cash to put down on a nice piece of personalized art.

oh, wait, 10. each piece is a 1 off, slightly thicker, thinner, color variations in the wood slightly longer. So, there is no mass production, each is literally a piece of art. I have had to find the balance between art and function and i'm starting to feel pretty good about my work.

thanks for listening - wish me luck. - and although i don't plan on taking "orders" as you see the pieces i'm doing feel free to give me some feedback on what you would like to see offered and if i have the pieces i can work on it. Darker, more variation, SS 2 tone PVD

for now, no fountain pens, I don't have one, i don't have a working use of the parts i have access to, - i'm only offering up to the board what i know i would feel comfortable handing to my boss as a gift.

I have a few nice pens and I would love to add one or two of yours to my collection, from the sample photos you showed, they are amazing.

I adore fountain pens... do you have some pictures of your work? This is definitely something I would consider getting.. especially if you become a famous pen manufacturer one day... imagine having one of the earliest Mont Blanc pens - would be worth a fortune today!

Me too.

Do an RWG fountain pen Meisterstuck homage pen Pho! You wouldn't have to prove your bravery in any other way. A run of about 300 awta do. :)

thing is, i don't know fountain pens, and if i'm going to work on a pen for 2 hrs, i don't want to put some china town cheap mechanism in it.

Aaron glad you decided to do it my friend.. Can't wait to see the photos of your first prototypes :)

Some of his first run are <here>.

Already seems a pro with the 'build' as a system. He may need a direction with marketability; what people want. Sometimes the craftsman's vision is not what the market will support. It's like popular music.

If people want to help with the venture, they should 'think tank' in this thread.