When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A challenge for repair experts!

cubancurly

I just received my J12 from WBK which I LOVE. (see review under wbk on the Darkside)

Anyway, I am not having a problem with the watch, per se, it's a problem with my wrist; I have very thin wrist, thinner then average so I have always had a problem sizing down watches and bracelets. My watches have to be sized down to about 5 1/4".

On this J12 there are only 4 links that can be removed and 2 of them should not because its on the clasp. The only way to make this watch smaller for me is to take off regular links. That would mean to break the ceramic links to be able to attach. I hope the photo helps to explain what I'm talking about.

All watch bands have only a certain amount of links that are able to be taken off, they have pins in them to attach and re-attach. The links I want to take off do not have pins, they are sealed in the ceramic so I would have to break open part of it to put the pin in it.

Have I confused everyone?

WtChanelJ12Diam-E.jpg

Understanding that there are only 2 pinned links on each side of the clasp links that can be removed, this means you are attempting to remove 3 links on each side (a total of six to fit your wrist). I am going to refer to the links as outer (top & bottom of a width view) and mid (middle link between the exterior top & bottom)

At any hardware store you can buy a ceramic tile drill bit for very little that I would use on a Dremel. Since the pinned links on either side of the two clasp links are already workable, you will actually leave them on the bracelet and take off 3 solid outer links on each side. Drill out the pin on the side of the outer solid link that will allow you to remove 3 outer solid links on each side between it and the pinned outer link. Now just use the pinned outer links on each side of the clasp links to attach with their perfectly working pins to the mid-link left from the removal of the solid outer links. Save the links because if you ever want to give or sell this watch again, the drilled out solid links can be reattached by just finding another pin assembly to go into the holes you just put in that one outer link.

Understanding that there are only 2 pinned links on each side of the clasp links that can be removed, this means you are attempting to remove 3 links on each side (a total of six to fit your wrist).

At any hardware store you can buy a ceramic tile drill bit for very little that I would use on a Dremel. Since the pinned links on either side of the two clasp links are already workable, you will actually leave them on the bracelet and take off 3 solid outer links on each side. Drill out the pin on the side of the outer solid link that will allow you to remove 3 outer solid links on each side between it and the pinned outer link. Now just use the pinned outer links on each side of the clasp links to attach with their perfectly working pins to the mid-link left from the removal of the solid links. Save the links because if you ever want to give or sell this watch again, the drilled out solid links can be reattached by just finding another pin assembly to go into the holes you just put in that one outer link.

Its a good idea to remove more of the solid links to have some adjustable ones left. But this ceramic is extremely hard, nothing like tile ceramic, I doubt that a ceramic drill will be a match. May breaking links is the only option, but I would make sure that the hollow parts on the middle links then is large enough to hold pins?? Well good luck with this operation

this ceramic is extremely hard, nothing like tile ceramic, I doubt that a ceramic drill will be a match. May breaking links is the only option, but I would make sure that the hollow parts on the middle links then is large enough to hold pins?? Well good luck with this operation

If it is as hard as that then the simplest is take it to a jeweler to have these 4 holes drilled, they'll have a diamond bit with a press. Breaking the links seems simple but I bet it brings more chance for a total screwup of desired results.

On the back side of the fixed links, you will find a couple of depressions in the ceramic. These are actually holes filled with a white resin. These plugs of resin hold into a slot in the pins. Remove the resin and the links can be taken apart. A normal drill bit will remove most of it, then use an X-Acto knife to remove the last bits.

On the back side of the fixed links, you will find a couple of depressions in the ceramic. These are actually holes filled with a white resin. These plugs of resin hold into a slot in the pins. Remove the resin and the links can be taken apart. A normal drill bit will remove most of it, then use an X-Acto knife to remove the last bits.

@krustybrand:

Not having ever held one in my hand, I viewed the J12s on Johsua's site and you are correct. Makes a whole lotta sense as how else would they put the solid links together, couldn't bake ceramic over the links. :doh: Every link on the back has two depressions that you mentioned. Well that seems the most easy and logical solution to cubancurly's inquiry.