When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noisy movement...

smokinsteel

I just bought my first 2 replica's from this site - exactreplicas.com and have to say I am very disappointed. I bought a Mont Blanc Timewalker and a Bell&Ross BR01-92. Both have very loud and noisy movements - so loud that when I picked up the package they came in I could hear them...and so could my wife, who was standing right next to me. Now granted, I only paid $100 each (which turns out to be $100 too much), but I am wondering if the higher end reps have this as well. I have 2 GEN watches to compare this to - an Oris small seconds and an Omega Aqua Terra - and have never noticed the sound of the movement.

My question is this - are the higher end reps (from dealers like Puertime) at about $300 a piece going to have this same problem?

Thanks guys!

CB

Based on your description, it sounds like either your reps contain poor quality Asian-made movements or they are in serious need of servicing or both.

I am not that familiar with either of those watch models, so I cannot speak with any great authority on the noise levels generated by better quality reps of these. However, in general, better quality reps are powered by Swiss-made ETA movements (or Asian-made copies, which can be very good if you have them properly serviced by a trusted watchmaker), which should only be heard (in some models) when their internal auto-wind rotors are in motion (ETA 7750-powered chronographs, both gens & reps, tend to be the noisiest).

I would recommend checking out the Collectors forums here & also be aware that nearly all reps are sold with used or unserviced movements inside them. So, no matter who you buy your rep watch from, if you want it to perform optimally & last a long time, I would recommend factoring in the cost of having a professional (rep-friendly) watchmaker service your watch upon receipt of it. There are numerous threads & stickies around RWG that discuss this. Use the Search button to locate additional info if you need it.

you can try to grease the ball bearings of the rotor.

open the case back

get the rotor off

gently put some very small grease dots on the ball bearings and make sure you don't put too much. get rid of extra grease and keep things clean. you don't want to get it in the movement. it worked with bergeon No 2588-50 KT 22 grease.

The more expensive ETA or clone ETA movements are better and will make less sound in general.