When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sellers Of Parts! I Need Your Advice On Handling Payments!

speedy1

I was approached by a few people and asked to customize dials for them. I told them I would buy the dials, do the work, and them send them pics. Then they could send paypal and I would send the dial.

Out of 7 people, 4 deals went off just like clock work, and hopefully we will see some pics shortly once they have them installed or install the dials themselves.

But the other 3 orders are as others, one fellow backed out totally and one other hasn't returned pms even though I have seen his name as being logged in. The last fellow ask me to hold his until he gets paid in the middle of the month (I do understand this but it is inconvienent).

I did not ask for payment up front because I wasn't advertising this as a service but I was going to charge for it if I was going to do it.

My question is......is this about right ratio for deals to fall through for doing work like this? How does one take precautions to shield themselves in a case like this as I have two 202 dials and one 201 dial sitting on my bench.

Or does this follow the standard rulenof repilca watches........."If you can't afford to eat the cost of the part or the watch don't get involved"

Get paid before you start the work.

Do NOT use PAYPAL, all it takes is one person to screw your account up for months...as you can see, people dont' keep their word, who's to say they won't do a chargeback, stay away from paypal...

Get paid before you do the work.

You did the work, that is your time, and time is money, now the ones who promised to pay you for your time, have backed out, leaving you with time and parts, and no money...

Name and shame, to protect the others here who are at risk as well...

Do nothing at a loss, get paid first, then deliver the goods, if they dont' like it, they can go somewhere else...

RG