When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Vs. Superlume. Is Superlume Just As Much A Call Out As Rep Lume?

chad

Simply no reason for you to take my questions personally like that....

You said the work was sloppy and fat, isn't that a personal comment?

One thing i have learned here is the only discussion that is tolerated is people kissing each others asses.

I disagree with that statement. No one is kissing anyone's ass... you have unrealistic expectations and are saying that my work is Sloppy. If that was the case, I wouldn't get repeat business or have the customer base I have. I disagree with your comments and I made that clear.

You made and continue to make comments about Sloppy lume work, here is a side lighted example, and you find this quality of workmanship unaceptable...at twice the size you can see with the naked eye? I think it's very good, and I know Mark does as good or better lume work as I do...so I dont' see what the problem is.

97661-26998.jpg

Lumed numbers end up looking fatter and sloppier and you point out that that is unavoidable and I understand that now.

Nothing personal to anyone.

No problem, that is your point of view, I personally, and I think my customers as well, dont' agree...again, if the above example is sloppy, I can't imagine what you consider a good job...certainly not something I am capable of...

RG

Who knows what Chad's intentions are. What I can say is that I have every PAM rep relumed. Without proper C3 superlume your PAM SCREAMS rep every time you get on an elevator or walk in from the outdoors. If you own or have ever owned a gen it drives you nuts. IMHO, as relates to PAM's - no glow - no go. :)

After all, you never know when you are going to have to climb into that two-man sub. :D

I wish I could continue this discussion, but I have to go.

Have a great August everyone, Randy I hope the V23 makes it back really soon...and I'll see you all in a month...

I am sure others can speak about this as well as I could...

Be nice to each other, and no ass kissing till I get back, reminds me of the old Hazing days in the military...ah the memories...

RG

Thanks Kruzer...

good to know and a simple answer to my original post.

The Zigmeister,

I have learned more about the process from the thread and I am glad I posted it and to be honest I am sure it will garner you more work. I did not know about the process and now I do.

Yes that photo is very nice as is all of your work. Are hand relumed numbers fatter and not as razor sharp as unlumed?.......yes they are...I have learned that from your posts....never said i could not live with it...just want to be informed.

Your first post about it did not take it personally so yes you should not......

You said that when you do it by hand that happens and that it is done by computer on the gen....makes sense......could not be as clean.

Seems like you are not going to do my work anyway now...haha....so i guess I am stuck with a dim PAM :)

Sorry for the insult if you felt that way.

Who knows what Chad's intentions are. What I can say is that I have every PAM rep relumed. Without proper C3 superlume your PAM SCREAMS rep every time you get on an elevator or walk in from the outdoors. If you own or have ever owned a gen it drives you nuts. IMHO, as relates to PAM's - no glow - no go. :)

After all, you never know when you are going to have to climb into that two-man sub. :D

I think my post is lost in the turmoil in this thread haha. I hope someone can still respond to my post:

Ok, I can deal with a few minor scratches on the hands. By the way, I got a superlumed dial from davidsen. It is supposed to be a sandwich dial.

Please Finepics, The Zigmeister and other experts on this forum, can you tell me your honest opinion on the quality of this dial (on the right site one can see a pretty good standard dial from PT's PAM111 which is NOT superlumed)?

I wonder, does superluming make the two layers almost equal?

I think:

- The depth of the sandwich dial is very very low, almost not noticeable.

- The font is incorrect

- Some lines are not "cut out" well

Please look at the link below (zoom in for detail!):

http://img436.imageshack.us/img436/1686/dialwd5.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Edited by none

The Zigmeister - not sure if you are still around to read this but I apologise unreservedly for my remarks which were rather thoughtless. I seem to be getting into all sorts of trouble just lately and the last thing I want to do is fall out with anyone here especially you. The jobs that I referred to were not badly done - it was just they were the wrong colour. One of them I did not do or say anything about (the owner is unaware and obviously happy with it) but the other I did re-do as I was doing other things to it at the same time so it made sense to do it while the watch was apart. The owner knows and there is no need to say anymore as it was a while ago now.

Please accept my humble grovelling apologies.

I think my post is lost in the turmoil in this thread haha. I hope someone can still respond to my post:

Ok, I can deal with a few minor scratches on the hands. By the way, I got a superlumed dial from davidsen. It is supposed to be a sandwich dial.

Please Finepics, The Zigmeister and other experts on this forum, can you tell me your honest opinion on the quality of this dial (on the right site one can see a pretty good standard dial from PT's PAM111 which is NOT superlumed)?

I wonder, does superluming make the two layers almost equal?

I think:

- The depth of the sandwich dial is very very low, almost not noticeable.

- The font is incorrect

- Some lines are not "cut out" well

Please look at the link below (zoom in for detail!):

http://img436.imageshack.us/img436/1686/dialwd5.jpg

Thanks a lot!

None - your observations with this dial are correct. You would be better of trying to source the standard rep dial (which is exactly the same size as the gen) as it is much better finished and the printing is crisper and whiter. Most of the dealers can get this dial for a small fee. You can level the markers with lume (I have done this) but it really depends which dial you are trying to re-create as to wether it will look the part. The other problem you will have is that it will only fit a Davidsen case unless you shave 1mm from the edge.

I think it's sad that people no longer appreciate hand craftmanship. Hand craftmanship will never be as perfect as a robot job, but that is precisely what makes it so valuable. The Zigmeister's lume work is excellent, and the watch is more valuable in my eyes because it has some hand-craftmanship on it. That's just something to consider. As others have mentioned already, a rep that doesn't glow right just screams "fake" and I would never buy a rep without getting it properly lumed by an artist like The Zigmeister or finepics.

hi ziggy,

hope you're having a good vacation & not stressing too much about these boards -- i'm really surprised how combative they can get at times.

regardless, be encouraged that many here DO think your work with luming watches is actually pretty amazing (i can't imagine applying that goop without getting it all over the dial :o ).

not sure how to get on your waiting list for when you get back from your time off, but i'd like to get a couple of my watches lumed by yours truly.

thanks,

dt