When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Removing GMT Ceramic Bezel and Crystal

rangers158

As any early GMT owners would know, some watches came with unevenly pressed crystal, usually higher on the 3 o'clock and lower at the 9 'clock side. For some, it is an easy fix of simply pressing the higher side in. For others who are not so lucky, it is not possible to press it in without removing the crystal and sitting it properly.

IMG_0263ic.jpg

Then the problem that exist for many owners is how do you remove the crystal? This has to be done either via removing the entire bezel or the ceramic bezel. Removing the ceramic bezel seems to be the easier way since the bezel construction is a little different from the normal submariner bezels. But removing the ceramic bezel does pose some challenges in removing it cleanly and safely without destroying it in the process.

One of my principle when working on watches is that if you do not want to scar, scratch or ruin the case, you have to preferrably use tools that are softer than the material you are getting in contact with. To remove the ceramic bezel, some have suggested and used a penknife to pry it out. That got to be the most risky thing to do cause any slip will probably mean damage to the steel or bezel. Even if you do not slip, the contact between metal and metal is likely to cause scratches.

Through trial and error, I find that using a piece of stiff plastic to wedge the bezel off is the best method for me. The piece of plastic I use happens to be from my shirt's collar.

Using the gap between the bezel and the crystal, insert the plastic and work your way around the bezel. The bezel is attached using double sided tape and therefor it is quite easy to separate it.

IMG_1171_resize.jpg

IMG_1172_resize.jpg

IMG_1173_resize.jpg

IMG_1174_resize.jpg

IMG_1175_resize.jpg

IMG_1176_resize.jpg

Once the bezel is removed, you can simply press out the crystal from the inside. The root of the problem of the uneven crystal becomes clear. I did not take any pics for this. The problem is really the nylon gasket. It is uneven in thickness and hence causing one side to be higher. What I did was to use a penknife to delicately thin out the thicker section of the nylon gasket. This has to be done very carefully or you might risk cutting through te gasket or making it too thin to hold the crystal properly.

Once pressed in properly with the reworked gasket, it is absolutely flat.

IMG_1178_resize.jpg

IMG_1179_resize.jpg

IMG_1180_resize.jpg

IMG_1181_resize.jpg

I have also removed the double sided tape and use clear 2-part epoxy to re-attach the bezel. By doing so, the bezel is more recessed and looks more gen. All this just shows that with a little more care and QC, the factory could have prevented some of these agonies for their customers. Hope the information will help other GMT owners to get the most out of their watches... Enjoy the pics...

IMG_1182_resize.jpg

IMG_1183_resize.jpg

IMG_1184_resize.jpg

IMG_1188_resize.jpg

IMG_1189_resize.jpg

IMG_1190_resize.jpg

IMG_1191_resize.jpg

IMG_1192_resize.jpg

IMG_1193_resize.jpg

Looks great! Well done.

Do you think 'sanding' the nylon spacer instead of shaving it with the pen knife, testing as you go, would be a safer option?

Enjoy the watch.

Sanding is definitely the safer option but I gues the sand paper must be at least 600-800 grade since the ring is really not that big. Also, in my case, the thicker portion is actually cause by bad moulding. There is a thin protruding layer of nylon perpendicular to the width of the gasket. It is similar to the excess plastic on the edge of a badly moulded toy. So for my case, I used a penknife to thin it instead.

Spot on - Great Tutorial - > just to confirm This is a CHS GMT correct ? My ICHS version does not appear to suffer from this pressed crystal prob.

Yep, this is the CHS. Newer versions should have this problem rectified by the factory. Early adopters helped others to sort out the problems.

Also, in my case, the thicker portion is actually cause by bad moulding. There is a thin protruding layer of nylon perpendicular to the width of the gasket. It is similar to the excess plastic on the edge of a badly moulded toy. So for my case, I used a penknife to thin it instead.

Ahhhhhhhhh, in the plastic extrusion/injection molding process, this is called 'flashing'. Yes, a trim with a blade would make sense then. Wow, you'd think these things were made in China or something. :D

Great watch!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice illustration! Wish I had the skills you have...I had my heart broken last week when the crystal on my ICHS from PT just popped right out...clean as a whistle. Never saw anything like it! I doesn't even look like it had a lip or edge that went under the bezel...looks like it was just wedged in there???

I wore her every day for 6 straight months and now my heart is broken ;(

Edited by Fuzzy