When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sizing a ceramic bracelet

The Mentalist

Does anyone here know the best way to size a Chanel J12 ladies ceramic bracelet? The watch shop I normally use won't touch it for fear he might shatter the links and he may have a point. I recently had to send a watch back as the lug had snapped off. Just how durable (or not) are these ceramic bracelets/cases? I hear the gens are very tough and shock resistant but I seriously doubt the rep is the same type of ceramic with the same shock resistance. Is the J12 bracelet held together with the same pin/sleeve system as other watches? The links look like they have some kind of rivet in the end and the sleeve/pin goes inside this rivet.

It is actually quite easy to resize if you have the right tools... my watch shop broke the bracelet of my gf's one and when i got a replacement bracelet I resized it myself with no problems...

Taking the pins off are easy... just need a pin pusher tool... push the pin out and resize it... the hard part is putting it back together without breaking it... dont use the small hammer that comes in the watch tool kit as it will break the ceramic... all i did was fit the pin in with my fingers till it is still sticking out, but instead of using a hammer, i used my tweezer in my tool kit... used the flat side and pressed against the pin... that way you get more leverage and it wont break the bracelet.... i basically rested the bracelet on the table and used both hands one holding each side of the tweezer and pushed down...

Hard to explain but hope you get it... pm me if you have problems understanding...

It is actually quite easy to resize if you have the right tools... my watch shop broke the bracelet of my gf's one and when i got a replacement bracelet I resized it myself with no problems...

Taking the pins off are easy... just need a pin pusher tool... push the pin out and resize it... the hard part is putting it back together without breaking it... dont use the small hammer that comes in the watch tool kit as it will break the ceramic... all i did was fit the pin in with my fingers till it is still sticking out, but instead of using a hammer, i used my tweezer in my tool kit... used the flat side and pressed against the pin... that way you get more leverage and it wont break the bracelet.... i basically rested the bracelet on the table and used both hands one holding each side of the tweezer and pushed down...

Hard to explain but hope you get it... pm me if you have problems understanding...

Thanks for that. I kind of suspected that the ceramic was prone to shattering. I did use a pin pusher tool but it snapped the pin on the tool so I'm going to take it to a watch shop and hope they don't hammer it. I'll pass on your tips.

I own 3 ( wife )

Broke my pin tool on the first went to a mall kiosk and they hammer away

Best $5 I ever spent and no issues

Went back there the other 2 times as well each time different $8 an hour employee too so I wouldn't sweat it

This bracelet is just not worth the hassle to do it yourself let the mall kiosk folks do it

I have personally sized all of my other bracelets but I won't touch these

• 10 months later...

I love screws, the Rolex was so lovely to resize, unscrew, gentle pull happy days, glides back in screw it in and sorted!

These have funny pins i had to drill a hole in my pin pusher to allow the fat end of the pin to pass through the pin pushers gap!, Do you have the 33mm Quartz version?

That's weird, mine has all screws for resizing?!? Not a pin anywhere that I know of!

Sixx :bones:

post-27069-126566201687_thumb.jpg

Ubi, Yeah :-( I don't have spares yet, so i did the next best thing, it was the square end link that snapped when it got wedged when i tried to put the link back together, so i've super glued it, very carefully and it seems to be ok, only a very very small noticeable hairline crack on one part noticable and thats if you take it off and are looking for it. Hopefully it'll hold and the whole watch won't drop off her wrist, else the whole thing will probably shatter :-(

No. 2 there is IDENTICAL to where ours snapped!!!!

What other ladies watches do you recommend mate?

Yep... Ceramic breaks!

Mrs. Ubi can attest to that!

J12 #1:

:wounded1:

J12 #2:

:black_eye:

Thankfully we have spares and spares of our spares!

kamber,

If I have a spare clasp end link, I'll send it your way. I will have to check the spares though.

As for ladies watches... Errrr, there aren't too many that I keep current on, mostly because the vast majority have CZs on them or other frilly stuff. Mrs. Ubi is a minimalist when it comes to watches, so she likes plain, simple SS or ceramic, no 'diamonds' or bling. For the time being she's content with her J12, and I'm currently building her TW Best ladies DJ into a franken...

IMG_5542.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

In the past, she's tried the 40mm PAMs:

IMG_3769.jpg

Just a bit too big and top heavy for her liking though. None the less, that might also be a nice option :)

Thanks mate I would really appreciate that. Yeah my Mrs is the same likes them minimalist without all the bling bling. :-)

kamber,

If I have a spare clasp end link, I'll send it your way. I will have to check the spares though.

As for ladies watches... Errrr, there aren't too many that I keep current on, mostly because the vast majority have CZs on them or other frilly stuff. Mrs. Ubi is a minimalist when it comes to watches, so she likes plain, simple SS or ceramic, no 'diamonds' or bling. For the time being she's content with her J12, and I'm currently building her TW Best ladies DJ into a franken...

In the past, she's tried the 40mm PAMs:

Just a bit too big and top heavy for her liking though. None the less, that might also be a nice option :)

• 3 months later...