When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Servicing

mrlulley

I have been buying reps for a long time now, sadly the ones in china town that are of no comparison to what i see offered by the recommended dealers here. After reading all i should read before getting into this hobby, there is something stopping me. From what i have read, i dont want to buy a rep unless i can get it serviced before i wear it. It seems that the only trusted person (closest to New York) for this is The Zigmeister. The problem with that is The Zigmeister is a hard person to get in touch with especially if you are a new member (noob) to this business. Does anyone have any recommendations on what i should do, whether it be a trusted watchsmith in the US/Canada or how i can get to use The Zigmeister's services.

Thanks in advance

Servicing is not mandatory, but highly recommended for any rep/watch you want to keep running for a long time. Rep watches come with used &/or unserviced movements, which means they are living (running) on borrowed time. So it is always best to have the movement professionally serviced (completely disassembled, parts cleaned/replaced (some reps come with worn parts) & lubed). I do not live in the New York area, so I cannot offer any specific recommendations, but, with the economy in the state it is in, I know that alot of gen owners are deferring their required servicing, which leaves alot of watchmakers with more free time than they normally have. Therefore, you are likely to find alot more 'rep-friendly' watchmakers who are willing to service your watch (assuming your rep contains an ETA movement, which most of the watches from RWG collectors will have - though some of these ETAs may be Asian-sourced). I would look up 'watch & clock repair' in your local phone book (or google same in the NY area) & phone them to see if they will work on an ETA-powered rep watch.

• 3 weeks later...

Like Freddy said. I also found the watch smith in the phone book. turns out he also works on original expensive watches and also had serviced many many 7750's. And also several A7750 movements. And the 2824-2 2836-2 6497-2 models are even more easy and a lot more cheaper to have serviced.