When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new Vintage Vintage Portuguese

Guest asim

Greetings!

A few weeks back the small announcement was made that a good Vintage Collection rep was made for the beautiful Portuguese as shown by Lanikai in this thread:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/IWC-VC-Black-Dial-F-t94708.html

"Outrageous" he says? So true is he!! The Price, feel, look, movement are all superb.

So I decided to get one myself, I was like a small kid in a candy store who just had enough candy but just wanted that one bit more. I am already beginning large projects, so spending a lot on another was a tad stupid. BUT...

Whilst searching where to get the watch at a good price, I came across WatchEden's website and he was the only person I saw who had the watch I am wearing right now. It is the Vintage Dial that the Vintage Collection Dial is based on. It had the FAJones look manual wind movement (always wanted a manual) and had the same dimensions as the original.. 43mm/44 and as for price? $88 shipped intl'! pulled out the credit card and bam!!

Below is a picture with the two variants in the original Portuguese range. The black dial was the first known design followed by a myriad of other designs.

The modern Portuguese benefits from seven decades of evolution. Since early models were only made-to-order, there was very little design consistency. However, the case shape, Arabic numerals, swallow-style hands, and sub-seconds dial at '9' were relatively constant elements.

iwc_2oports.jpg

and another pic of original vintages

portvintage.jpg

And here comes the much awaited gallery of my new rep!

DSC00378.jpg

DSC00379.jpg

DSC00385.jpg

^ not so sure why they had to put a limited edition count on the side!! might have to brush that out!!!

DSC00384.jpg

movement is running superb. Never had a manual wind before, so I will have to get used to winding it here and there.

DSC00386.jpg

Yes the hands are not super accurate, and the arabic numerals aren't top-notch etc etc.. but I have a smart dress watch for $88 and that feels and runs like a few thousand bucks. I will shortly add a dark brown Hirsch strap to the watch and then we shall party at the Ritz!

Kind Regards,

Asim