When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Portuguese Jubilee

Watchwatcher

Specs:

Mfr: International Watch Company (IWC)

Model: Portuguese 125th Anniversary “Jubilee” edition

Face: Black

Subdial: seconds at 6:00

Strap: black leather (engraved buckle)

Diameter (excluding crown): 38mm

Thickness: 8mm

Strap width: 20mm

Movement: Asian manual

Crystal: mineral

Back: mineral display

Original review (Dave Gates): http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...showtopic=21303

Here’s a quick review of my IWC Portuguese Jubilee (carried by Narikaa), which is a follow-up to Dave’s fantastic pictorial of the (white) twin to mine.

Genuine Background

The story of the original "Portugieser" is found in IWC catalogs. According to the 1995/96 edition: "At the end of the 1930s IWC received a request from Portugal. A customer wanted a wristwatch of the same size and accuracy as a pocket watch. IWC selected the slimmest and most reliable pocket watch movement in its range, and designed a classic stainless steel case to house it. "Some reports said that this request came from the Portuguese Navy.

The resulting watch was distinctive. In addition to being larger than a normal watch, it had a stainless housing, a matte silver-plated dial, embossed gold Arabic numerals, and gold swallow hands. Again, small seconds were at 6o'clock, in a slightly recessed subdial.

To commemorate IWC's 125th Anniversary, development began in 1990 of a "Jubilee" edition of the Portuguese which was released in 1993. The original watch does not actually say "IWC" on the dial, and its 6 o'clock subdial is quite a bit larger, covering the 6. The anniversary Jubilee watch, reference 5441, is an exact replica of the original Portuguese from the 1940's. It contains an inhouse Caliber 982 with special engraving on the movement commemorating the 125 years of IWC, 18,000 vibrations per hour, 19 jewel manual wind movement. Breguet hairspring. Only 1000 in steel were produced for this edition. 500 were produced in rose gold and 250 in platinum. The list prices for the edition at its original release were: steel $8,500; rose gold $12,500; and platinum $21,500.

Replica Comments

At a diameter/thickness of 38/8mm, the rep is somewhat smaller than the genuine (42/9.8mm), but similarly proportioned.

This IWC attracted my attention, after seeing Dave’s review. Personally, I like the black face, which gives this elegant timepiece a somewhat more sporty look. The lean profile is also, in my opinion, an attractive aspect of this rep, which retains the same proportions and profile of the genuine, as opposed to many reps which tend to sit too high on the wrist due to their thicker-than-gen profiles.

Enjoy.

6486-5781.jpg

6486-5782.jpg

6486-5783.jpg

6486-5784.jpg

6486-5785.jpg

6486-5786.jpg

[END]